slug.com slug.com

4 1

Omnipotence Paradox

Can an all powerful being (a god) make a boulder so heavy that it cannot lift it?
Yes?
Then this god cannot do something. (Lift said boulder.)
No
Then there is again something a god cannot do. (Make the boulder it cannot lift.)

What do you think about this paradox?

#god
TheodoreBear 2 Mar 25

Be part of the movement!

Welcome to the community for those who value free speech, evidence and civil discourse.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

There's no real paradox in this. Can God make a boulder so heavy that He, She, It can't lift it? Yes... until God decides to lift it. For an omnipotent being "can" and "can't" simply doesn't apply. Everything would be a matter of choice - not logical necessity.

Lets phrase it another way; Could an omnipotent being create a body for itself so weak that it couldn't lift a rock over a certain weight? Well, sure. Could it create a stronger body that could lift that rock? Sure. It depends upon the omnipotent being's decision. So where's the paradox?

I don't believe in paradoxes. All I've ever come across equivocation, word play, and misunderstanding. In this case "all-powerful" is being misunderstood as really powerful but still limited by logical necessity.

How 'bout this one. Can an omnipotent being create something more powerful than itself?

Boulders are material. God is immaterial.

Gravity is immaterial.

You can move anything with gravity.

Boulders are real. God is fiction.

Why bother, Just move the planet away from the bolder - You think so small

Why would he create a boulder too heavy for him to lift?

Why would he want to lift it?

When you answer those questions, I'll tell you the answer.

Open your eyes. Logic is a valuable thing!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:86426
Slug does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.