slug.com slug.com

58 6

Reparations for slavery

I'm curious what folks think about the Dem presidential candidates talking about the government paying reparations to, I assume, blacks in the US for slavery in our past. Is it just a ploy to reel back in black voters who are in Blexit mode? Why do none of them address modern-day slavery which exists in astonishing numbers worldwide, including in the US?

SJJensen 4 Mar 24

Be part of the movement!

Welcome to the community for those who value free speech, evidence and civil discourse.

Create your free account

58 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

That’s one of those things where they’ve lost ANY SENSE of subtlety ...
When I first heard it I was momentarily aghast ... and then I lost it ...
LOL!!!

I understand that the Democrats actually think their ENTIRE Constituency are Blithering Idiots but do they REALLY Believe Outright Insulting Their Tiny Little Minds is a GOOD Thing? ... Will go Completely Unnoticed?

I do believe it is a ploy to get the black voters back. It’s interesting that they want to address a social injustice that has been illegal for over 150 years but they turn a blind eye to the human trafficking and slavery that is happening right now through illegal border crossings.

Promise everything, deliver nothing.

Too complicated for them to actually figure out.

The big thing they're going to pivot to when reparations doesn't get them the black vote will be universal income. $500-$1000 a month for everyone.

I would sooner burn my money.

Are they going to demand reparations from the Cherokee Nation as well?

Are we to take credit for or pay for our father's sin's?

It is a ridiculous concept.

What if someone is a direct descendant of both of slaves and slave owners? Does your reparation amount depend on the percent of slave owner DNA of your ancestors?

My ancestors on my fathers side were Virginia plantation owners. John Pendleton's slaves actually stayed and fought the Union sending women and children away. When slavery ended John Pendleton gave land money and such. I can go to public records to prove compensation at the time.
Ideally, the way Dems handle everything else, no.
Blacks may be crushed to learn it was another black man who was the largest slave owner in NC. To add: Who in Africa profitted? No one intellectually discusses that on either side. Maybe they should be the ones to pay. I believe Muslims profitted.

I would agree to payment of reparations, but with conditions. It should come out of every living slave owner's estate, to be paid to every living person that was a slave. This amount should be equal to the wages earned, minus of course costs (food, clothing, shelter). I think that would be a fair and equitable agreement. I believe slavery ended in 1865 (end of civil war) - so of course no one under the age of 154 should be eligible for reimbursement.

Dem president candidates are STUPID! Like Stupid... Luckily for them, many voters are also stupid and deliberately avoid enlightenment of any sort. How would anyone place a value judgement on something like slavery reparations??? Slavery (although a horrible practice) is 99.999% of the history of mankind. Freedom and individual growth are the appropriate reimbursement for our history.

The only thing reparations would do is make Cadillac the number 1 car dealership in America!

I do believe it is a ploy to get votes from those who do not want to take responsibility of their current situation in life. It is easier to lure the child with candy than to lure them with the knowledge to make the candy, due to the outcome while being short lived, it is now, and not in the future. Will they do politically what they say? What has history shown us? Probably not and I am sure there will be another shinny object tied to a string to troll them to something new. Or I could be wrong and it may lead to the undoing of woven fabric that holds our society together, that at this point may be stretched so tight to the point that one sharp edge may cause a tear, and not be able to be mended easily.

A question now comes to mind on how would they possibly implement this and validate it? So would you tax and I assume that would be the way it would go, by looking at how other forms of welfare are supported. So who do we tax? Just white people? So how do you decide who is a white person? By the way maybe someone is white, however doesn't identify as white. Do we figure through geniology who has owned slaves in their heritage? What if that heritage leads to a black family today? Are they taxed then, and at what proportion? Do we tax everyone across the board no matter what? So i guess for some it is a tax , and others an investment? I do not know or can not see a way that anyone can logically sell the idea of reparations to the public for a small proportion of people where the only problem they are having is taking responsibility for their own life, creating a vision of what they want, making a game plan to get it, and putting aside the things in their life that are limiting the manifestation of that vision. Or maybe I am also just an angry white man...lol.

Everything the democrats/liberals say is a ploy. They don't think "Here is a real problem, how can we solve it?" They start with "Let's find an outcome that suits us, and then try to manipulate a problem to fit."

When they produce someone living that was enslaved by me personally (which is impossible as I have never personally owned slaves), I will gladly pay reparations regardless of race, creed, or national origin. Otherwise, I work hard for my money, and I am responsible for my choices not those of my forefathers.

That's a very interesting question. Personally I have been on a genealogy search recently. I was told that one of my great-great-grandfather's was run out of St Louis during the civil war because he was a slave holder. I later found out that he was business partners and friends for over 30 years with one of the foremost abolitionists at the time. To the point that his partner financially supported Dred Scott and encouraged him to sue for his freedom. So, no slaveholders there. He did own slaves in 1830, but there is no mention of them in the 1840 census. I often said that since one of my great-grandfathers was a slaveholder, and the other was a staunch unionist, the people asking for reparations could have my half-assed apology anytime they wished. As a matter of fact they could kiss it. By the way I just checked around my house and the outbuilding, and I find no slaves. Curious

Retroactive punishment, to change a law and then punish the perpetrator, is purely a leftist doctrine. To do it after generations is draconian.

Yes! I agree-- there are probably more people in slavery now than in any other time. Last I read, it was about 27 million. I read Francis Bok's story of his enslavement in Sudan in the 80s and 90s. Unbelievable in this day and age.

If we give reparations, why not go back over a thousand years when the Romans invaded and occupied England? Why not give some to those from Poland and Ireland when they tried to get jobs in this country in the late 1800's & early 1900's? The question, is, when will it end?

No !! The first slave owner in America was a black man , the largest slave owner was a black lady !!! That's diverse if you ask me !! Repuration talk is only to get the vote and support of the blacks , and most are smarter than to buy that crap !!

It's hard to understand any mentality where you are held accountable for the actions of your ancestors, I mean where does one draw the line? All that should matter is who are your friends and enemies in the present, and not the past. Everyone is born as a blank tablet and should have the opportunity to make their own decisions without a legal framework to punish future sons and daughters for their grandparents sins. Its absolutely abhorrent.

I'm all for Democrats paying reparations. Not just for slavery though. Also for the trail of tears and starting the policy of segregating native Americans and putting them on reservations.

They do not address the slavery that exists in the world today becacuse there is no money to be made there.
The currency is in the political clout that can be used by black racists in the USA.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:24462
Slug does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.