slug.com slug.com

5 2

Any readers of Niccolo Machiavelli?

1)Has anyone here read Niccolo Machiavelli's The Prince?
Have any of you noticed the Machiavellianism integrated in today's politics?
2)Do you think it was Machiavelli's intention to have his book used as a handbook for political players, or do you think it was designed for people of integrity to notice when such tactics are being implemented?

Marcus_Aurelius 7 Feb 21

Be part of the movement!

Welcome to the community for those who value free speech, evidence and civil discourse.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

You have to keep in mind that the cultural of Machiavelli's time was pure organized crime . He knew some of the most evil families in the history of the world , very well .

As to whether Machiavelli's lessons are being followed today, consider that Alinsky is his most successful successor.
The velvet gloved iron hand is alive and well in American politics.

In answer to the second question, while I believe the book was written to assist leaders, it certainly comes down through history as a caution to any who pay attention.

I'm reminded of a meme captioned "Make 1984 Fiction Again".

I've read it and taught it to 10th grade World History students.

Machiavelli was an adventurer, attempting to make a name for himself among the courts of Europe. His book is a "how-to" for leaders, and pretty much the first work of "political science" ever written.

As a commoner, Machiavelli was limited in how far he could go politically, but he knew that he could rise and rise quickly to incredible levels of access and influence if he hitched himself to the right wagon.

His greatest flaw, other than the necessary obsequiousness, was his candor. Monarchs don't like to be reminded that they seek and need the approval of their subjects.

They tended, especially in his lifetime, to believe their own press clippings about "divine right", and their own supremacy. To be reminded of their humanity and frailty by a common man, and to then have that common man attempt to school them in their business was not well received, except by the most pragmatic.

He was an astute observer and a pretty good student of the psychology of the common man.

Heard of him, but not familiar with his works. I will be looking into that though...

I've read The Prince. I do think he meant it as a guide for those in power, but I don't think he meant it to be a guide to immoral acts. He wasn't trying to teach morality either though. He was a pure intellectual, and morally neutral if you ask me.

Rather, I think he was the first to come up with the concept of realpolitik. He was one of the first to plainly convey the Idea of pragmatism in politics. He saw the unfortunate truth, that sometimes you have to accept collateral damage along the way to achieving your goals as a leader.

That is how I read the Prince too, personally, there is a lot of questionable ethics within it that I wouldn't implement. I it is good to be aware of this type of perspective, and genuinely a fascinating book from a fascinating person, from a fascinating time period.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:20405
Slug does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.