slug.com slug.com

2 0

If a constitutional amendment is passed abolishing the constitution, would that amendment be valid?

On the one hand, the constitution allows for amendments to modify any part of the constitution, including abolishing sections of it.

On the other hand, if the amendment passes, then the constitution is invalid and thus the amendment is invalid and thus the constitution is not abolished.

Yet another possibility is that there is some constitutional law, of which I'm not aware, that prohibits the whole sale abolishment of the constitution.

TheMiddleWay 8 Oct 11

Be part of the movement!

Welcome to the community for those who value free speech, evidence and civil discourse.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

One of the greatest documents for freedom in the history of the world. Shouldn’t even be a topic for discussion.

@TheMiddleWay I don’t agree that’s part of its greatness. The Founding Fathers were pretty adamant and precise about the intention of the Constitution. As Ron Paul famously said, “ My copy of the Constitution didn’t come with an expiration date” I don’t know about your question but I would doubt it. Moral principles are moral principles. They can’t be changed on the whim of an unhappy political party.

@TheMiddleWay Yes, most liberals believe that everything is subjective including morals and even Natural Rights. This is where the left goes off the rails in a big way. Everything in the left’s view is socially constructed. But I have a question. Are you not comfortable living in a relatively free society? Do you think fucking with the most important document in recorded history is a good idea? Are you so uneasy living in the most prosperous, freest country the world has ever produced that you would dare to shred the very foundation on which it was built? Ok, that’s three questions.

@TheMiddleWay The original question you posed was regarding abolishing the Constitution, hence my response to that. Amending the Constitution is legal and sometimes necessary but that is a far cry from abolishing it. That answers your first question. As far as your second question you jumped the rails because I said I believed that natural rights and moral principles were absolute and these are covered in the body of the Constitution as well as in the Bill of Rights, and you are asking if the Constitution as a whole is relative and so it is really two different discussions. Your third question doesn’t make much sense. A better document by whose judgement? Who is in a position to make that decision? Who would decide the validity of abolishing the Constitution?

@TheMiddleWay No, thought experiments are good, I get it. And I’m not trying to cast any vitriol your way. It’s just that there is a lot of talk lately about wholesale change in this country, and while I think change is inevitable, sometimes necessary, and sometimes good, people need to think long and hard about uprooting a system that while not perfect, is the best example of freedom humans have ever had.
For example, our justice system is far from perfect but would you rather be on trial for your life here, or someplace else. And that’s just it. No government or political system can or ever will be perfect. That is the utopia that certain ideologues hope for, but is impossible.

@TheMiddleWay Yes, things can always be better. Nothing wrong with striving for that. For a controversial view on the Constitution by an individual who considered himself a liberty lover check out Lysander Spooner. Interesting fellow.

LOL! if up were identified as down would it still be up?

@TheMiddleWay so they suggest using the Constitution to nullify the Constitution...huh? LOL

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:139566
Slug does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.