slug.com slug.com

6 1

What book did you finish that deserved a celebration?

I just finished Atlas Shrugged and have felt it needed celebration. What influential book did you finish and feel a need to have a small celebration?

TheJoyofWA 4 Feb 16

Be part of the movement!

Welcome to the community for those who value free speech, evidence and civil discourse.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The Diamond Age by Neal Stephenson. It is somewhat dated now but it still grabs me. Stephenson is an excellent writer in the expository style. Great adventure, technology and excellent social commentary.

I’ll interpret this as asking for books to celebrate rather than needing to celebrate the fact that you’ve finished a particular book.

Atlas Shrugged for sure, although Fountainhead is probably a better novel. Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance by Pirsig. Zen and the Psychology of Transformation by Benoit. Bonfire of the Vanities by Wolfe. The State by de Jasay. The World According to Garp by Irving. And almost anything by Tom McGuane.

Gulag Archipelago.

It seems to me I read that in the late 70s or early 80s but it was long and horrifying. Like most non fiction, I read a couple chapters and then go read junk so my mind can process the information.

Yes, those three volumes are going to be my next large self challenge. I am going to read "One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich" first.

I dunno that I’ve ever felt the need to “have a celebration” because I finished a book ... except War and Peace maybe or Crime and Punishment but that was because they were pretty boring and went on and on and ...
I’ve read thousands of books ... Atlas Shrugged probably 3 times ... I really can’t think of any I celebrated.

This could be because of my personality. 😁

The Neuroscience of Intelligence Richard J Haier

Found it on archive.org ... seems interesting but obscure

The DaVinci Code.

Uh ... there’s 2 other books to that y’know ...?

@Bay0Wulf Yes... and I intend to read them as well when I get a chance.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:77287
Slug does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.