slug.com slug.com

1180 378

Let us know your ideas on how to improve this new site!

As we just launched this site, we're still adding features and ramping up promotion. Let us know what you'd like to see here and we'll make it so! Our goal is to help facilitate not only the exchange of ideas but to help consolidate a clear message on important topics.

Also, please give us your thoughts on how we should best position this site so as to live up to the ideals of the IDW movement.

Thanks so much!

Admin 8 Feb 14

Be part of the movement!

Welcome to the community for those who value free speech, evidence and civil discourse.

Create your free account

1180 comments (476 - 500)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I am a Lutheran Pastor in NC. I am truly concern about such issues as Free Speech , Freedom of Religion and the list is endless. It can be summarized in the word FREEDOM!!!

@Admin thank you so much for setting up this community! I'm glad I stumbled upon it. I had been worried that the IDW movement was drying up (just in time for me to open my eyes to it). Twitter is extremely deceptive. Nearly every IDW tag has something nasty to say.

Anyway! In terms of feedback, it would be great to have the option of collapsing and expanding comment threads. I am accessing this site through a mobile device, and when trying to read each reply, having the ability to collapse particularly long threads would be great.

Thank you for all of your hard work!

Thanks for the feedback! We're thinking of making the replies to comments to only show 3-4 and the rest hidden until you press "view more".

IMPORTANT AND URGENT - Today we saw a number of high-profile people de-platformed by facebook and instagram. It is clear that we cannot rely on the old social media outlets to be neutral any longer - they are stifling all speech they disagree with. We need an alternative - it should be right here
The IDW community site needs to add a profile feature, similar to fb and twitter, which would allow people to post to their timelines, and others to "follow" them, and comment. And people need to be searchable by their real name - the member browsing feature, where you enter username, is not helpful (for instance, is Jordan Peterson on this site? I can't find anyone with that name, and I get a bunch of useless results when I do that search.)
Incorporating this well-understood social media feature would start to grow the alternative forum we need to fb and twitter. Jordan Peterson, Dave Rubin, etc could all have their own pages that we could follow, and so could any of us. That would allow new voices to be heard as well, over time.
On the other hand, I don't find this reddit-style platform does the job. It is too random for me to find useful. We urgently need the feature outlined here.
(And, for heaven's sake, please get rid of the 'fans' designation already! A bunch of us have complained - we are NOT "fans", which is such a superficial and almost insulting designation! "Subscribers", as someone else suggested, is WAY better.)

Wonderful feedback! We do have profile pages and the ability to follow members (via alerts). I'll see about getting posts by followed members to show up in the main feed in addition to alerts (good idea!). We can add "real name" search along with the member search too. "Subscribers" is a bit long... will think more on this. Thanks!

My very first thought after joining here: Is it necessary that we are referred to as "fans"? I really don't feel like a fan only for liking what someone has to say. I sounds like we are but devote sheep who follow with the big brains, it divides into them and us.
Maybe I'm oversensitive, but for me there's a really negative connotation... Idk

Sure, what would you suggest we call them?

@admin How about 'group' if 'subscriber is too long?

@paltmaie Ah, you're referring to the groups we setup for people who enjoy hearing the opinions of active IDW public figures, right? I agree that "Fan" might sound a little groupie-esque. "Followers" sound a bit cult-esque. "Group" isn't bad but will have to let it settle in unless can think of something better. e.g., "Jordan Peterson Group".

@admin - Yes, I meant instead of 'fans' so yes, "jordan peterson group" is what I had in mind. If you think of something better, great, but please get rid of 'fans' asap!

@paltmaie Made the change and will see what the feedback is. As a compromised, I left "Fans" in the description. One can be a fan of someone without agreeing 100% of what they say. In general, we admire public figures who use reason and civility to advance their positions.

@Admin Ah, great! Thank you, feels much better now! 😀

@admin I like it the way it is now! 'Jordan Peterson Group' etc - works great! Thank you!

The page seems rather convoluted and difficult to navigate thus far, but TBH I’ve only checked it out a couple time. I think you’d be better off following as much of the Facebook model as possible without violating copyright laws, and of course leave out all the assaults on free speech. When I’d read a comment I’d like to know exactly who made the comment before I even read another word. I also noticed that most everything I read on the newsfeed is just random comments and no articles, videos, podcasts seem to come across my feed.

The main feed has posts that are made in the groups in which you are a member. If you find that some are not what you wanted, you can leave the group and not see other posts.

Hello. I just joined and so far had not had time to really check out the page. Or pages!! but I hope to soon. I like the idea of a free and open social media site where people can discuss, debate, and generally boot around ideas in the hopes that every one can and will benefit from it. With out being blocked, censored of banned.
I have practically Stopped going to That place FB Because of the stupidity there. I learned a long time ago that most people there are not interested in discussion but just spouting their opinion. Most are not interested in facts. And now it is controlled but one party who have all the answers to all the problems in the world and if you disagree they cut you out. So shut up and get in line for they are the Ministry of Truth!!

We are trying to raise the honesty bar relative to FB/etc. It really requires the teamwork of members to use reason and facts. Thanks!

@Admin Hello! Did I say something wrong? What did I miss in my opener post?

@Admin I do find the site a bit confusing. I have not spent a lot of time on these places so I really don't know what it is all about. I suppose I should go and read the newbie info.!!
Thanks.

Also, when there are site maintenance issues and updates, could a general message be posted up. Please, thank you.

Yes, we need to come up with an easier way to say what's new. We a bit of a scramble this past week as we are trying to shape the conversation.

Thank you for this new social media page where free speech is still free!! It is tiring to see every conserevative post on Twitter and FB being bombed by the "tolerant left". I don't have ea ton of time to be on but I'm glad that this is a growing community. I will post links to it on my FB account. I don't have enough Twitter followers to count. LOL!

Hello and welcome. Yes, time management proves to be a challenge on this site, so much to see and contribute to! The Learn tab at top has a lot of resources and overview. Look forward to see your posts, tc.

Dont force me to give a zip code fake or otherwise. Same with birthdate. Period.

Yeah, we hear ya. We're thinking of just making all that optional. Thanks!

Define what you mean by "position" this site: This can be a topic unto itself for discussion.
May the site evolve? Set in stone? Layered?

Agreed. We are still trying to figure out how we can help get more people involved in discussions/etc. We should make a post on that sometime too. Thanks!

Hi Admin, really not liking this new group post arrangement. I don’t know if I’m missing something but I can’t see a list of the latest posts on any/every topic? It was already confusing given the time and date differences between countries - now I find myself looking at posts from early April. There’s just doesn’t appear to be any order to how we see posts now.

Sorry to complain - you do a great job anyway.

We made a change recently to be more group-centric instead of general posts. We did this to better focus on the IDW member groups.

I would like to see a direct link to the various speakers, preferably with their latest presentations or interviews.

Yes, we need to make this more visible.

Avast! Just a little #headsup.
We desperately need a "HEALTH & WELLNESS" option when posting content. NONE yet exists! Yikes

Tags seem limited to a singe word. #freespeech doesn't but #liberty links.

Tags can be comprised of multiple words but without spaces. Both of your tags works for me.

@Admin Odd wasn't the other day.

Happy to help with graphics! Let me know if I can contribute!

Yes, happy to get feedback and ideas anytime!

I'd like to see Candace Owens and William Lane Craig added. Other than that, no suggestions.

We've a group for "Candace Owens Fans" Group and when you reach level 4, you can create new groups!

@Admin Awesome, thank you! Yeah I searched her name and all I found were threads, but the link took me right there. Also, I take it I can't give "coins" to Candace Owens because she's not a member or something?

@Vic2Point0 You can "give" coins to her now at [slug.com]

Thank you for including me.

The format of the site is great. There aren't too many distractions and it's easy to navigate. My only critique right now is with the app on iOS. I had typed up a post and accidentally swiped while trying to select text. In swiping, it sent me to the previous page and deleted the contents of my entire post. Perhaps the swipe-to-go-back function can be switched out for a back button.

Oh man, I can understand how it feels to lose a post - especially if done on mobile! We're thinking of auto-saving posts as "draft" as you type (e.g., every 1 minute save). I'll try to bump that. As far as back button, we're thinking of having it on the lower left on every page but we fear it will hide text.

What about a search tool?

I discovered the #. But since not all posts have # or a lot of them, maybe a search tool would be a nice addition.

@benoitdavid We've a search bar for both groups and posts. I'll try to make it more obvious (or just show it all the time).

@Admin Found it, thanks!

I knew about IDWbut did not know the app. Loving it so far, everyone seems to be civil. I would say mainly conservatives! I am not worried about the left a lot even though from time to time gets scarry.

Why are there no dates/times on posts?

@Janeybird I see dates on comments but nothing on posts. I think date and time are both necessary for posts and comments.

@Janeybird Yes, there are dates on comments. But no times. And no date or time on posts. I'm saying there should be dates and times on both posts and comments.

@Janeybird, @michell Yes, "time zones" are on our list and probably 5-10 days away. Well, any time zone is only a few hours away but getting them to work here will take longer.

We need more publicities, more people need to know this community so we can unite our voices and make some real political difference.

Agreed - have suggestions on how to contact people to help promote the site?

@Admin

1. More ads on differents websites
  2. A new system of referral, people who invite more friends get some new perks
  3. Do you have personal contact with members of the IDW? It would be really cool if they can mention us in their podcasts. It would boost our numbers for sure.

@shj648 Good points... YES... we are working now with one of the big 5. Hopefully, some news in the next couple of weeks.

This is a good start. I want to see a conservative silicon valley build up over the years. Can you put videos in here? I think we need to get completely off YouTube.

YES! We just launched the ability to upload show videos on your profile and will do similar with posts in the next week or two.

@Admin. May I also suggest this site should have a purpose beyond politics. It should be a fun place we can all visit and encourage people not interested in the idw to join.

@Westernsky11 , Politics is my favorite full-contact blood sport. But, grudgingly, I admit we can have other interests and hobbies, so I agree.

@Bjornli we need to replace the other social media platforms. Doing everything here makes that possible.

I keep tapping the upload button on the video section. Nothing happens.

I agree with the comment that 'fans' is not what we are. Please change the designation. Thx

Sure, what do you have in mind?

@Admin Well, how about Interest Group - eg: Jordan Peterson Interest Group. That's the term many technical societies use for their topics. Or Topics - Jordan Peterson, if 'interest group' is too long. But overall, something neutral, since we are not groupies!
On that note, will Jordan Peterson post to the group that bears his name, as he does on Twitter? (and likewise for Dave Rubin, etc)?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:20034
Slug does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.