slug.com slug.com
1 4

How come the left always takes beautiful characters from my childhood and makes them hideous? ( I am a toy collector and lover of old cartoons. That's why this always annoys me.)

Sacha799 7 June 23
You must be a member of this group before commenting. Join Group

Be part of the movement!

Welcome to the community for those who value free speech, evidence and civil discourse.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I used to watch She-Ra, and I love Jem. The original 80s version. Not this modern mutation. I own the complete Jem series and rewatched it all a couple of years ago.

I think these ugly remakes are part of a bigger phenomenon. Starting in the early 90s, American cartoons suddenly became hideous. I don't know why, but here's my guess. John Kricfalusi's Ren and Stimpy became a hit:

[en.wikipedia.org]

"The show came to garner high ratings for Nickelodeon, having double the viewership of the other Nickelodeon cartoons for its first season and later averaging three times their viewership. The show for a time was the most popular cable TV show, with several airings being the most-watched scripted cable TV show in 1993 in the United States."

I admit I watched the first couple of seasons. For the writing and not the look. Unfortunately the grotesque look caught on, and soon it seemed every 90s American cartoon was populated by nuclear war survivors. Maybe it wasn't just Ren and Stimpy that was the impetus. Maybe there was some greater cultural trend, some greater embrace of ugliness. This was the time of grunge, something else I didn't understand. The 90s was when I tuned out of popular culture, so I'm groping in the dark here. I hope others in the group can better explain what happened.

I suppose to someone who's twenty and under, the 80s Filmation and Marvel Productions look might be dated or even painful to look at. John Kricfalusi, the creator of Ren and Stimpy, hated the Filmation look:

[johnkstuff.blogspot.com]

She-Ra is in the second-to-last picture in the post.

Kricfalusi worked at Filmation and couldn't stand it. I get what he's saying, but ... I wouldn't have wanted to see She-Ra as a grotesque creature in his style.

I miss beauty.

AMRX Level 5 June 23, 2020

@Sinjin2020 They not only make them ugly now, they make them gay. I haven't seen the new She-ra but a friend of mine said they were supposed to have She-ra and Catra in a lesbian relationship. I thought these shows were supposed to be for children? Now they have to peddle all this propaganda to kids. They recently did it with Spongebob. They came out and said he was homosexual. He is a sponge!

@Sinjin2020 Most modern art is extremely ugly. There is a museum here called Crystal Bridges. It features American artists. You start with the very old art from the 1700's and work your way to the 1960's and 70's and the stuff is extremely ugly. Someone could cut a square out of cardboard and they call that art.

I went to a Jem convention in 2011. That was before the remake. The remake for that is just a crappy comic tho. Except for the movie they made a few years ago. I think Filmation was good for it's time. They could clean it up a little bit. I just prefer the way the characters look back then. I cannot stand the way the new She-Ra looks. It was just infused with propaganda. I never watched it but, I've read about it. My friend said he watched an episode and it was terrible.

@Sinjin2020 What is funny is how many white people (mostly women) that get excited when they take something that used to have white characters and make them black, or gay. If you did this with any other group they would be pissed. The LGBT stuff is everywhere now too. My best friend from High school is homosexual. He had lots of problems. He was an alcoholic and had lots of issues. He doesn't call hiimself gay because he hates the gay movement. He is a christian and doesn't practice homosexuality. He is celibate. He thinks they should try to help gay people instead of celebrate it. I know he is a rarity. I think most gay people see him as the Uncle Tom of gays.

This "Cal Arts" blandness seems to have infested most 201x/202x cartoons. Ren and Stimpy were ugly (let's fact it, so were THE SIMPSONS and LIFE IN HELL) but distinctive.

"The original criticism came from John K, creator of Ren & Stimpy, throughout the 1990s, directed primarily at Disney animation. He claimed that the CalArts style was basically a rehash of design styles from Disney’s original ‘Nine Old Men’ that was ingrained into the teachings at the art school. "

[ballstatedaily.com]

Recent Visitors 33

Photos 516 More

Posted by CourseofEmpireA little weird. All of them ina nation that is overwhelmingly Eastern Orthodox? Shouldn’t there be more of them in there instead?

Posted by InspirationHow do you explain this.

Posted by CourseofEmpireIf the international banking cartel says that you aren't allowed to have a bank account, it means you are a threat.

Posted by CourseofEmpireThis should be our objective

Posted by CourseofEmpireProposed measures to reduce fertility in the US, 1967. "Too Many Americans."

Posted by CourseofEmpireA little pita bread, tsaziki, souvlaki, mmmm, quite tasty; not sure about the social media platform though. ;)

Posted by CourseofEmpireI mean, is he really wrong?

Posted by CourseofEmpireThere are reports many larger cities are starting to see an outward drift. Maybe the early stages of this? ;)

Posted by CourseofEmpireWhy can’t C-19 vaccine mandates be taken seriously?

Posted by CourseofEmpireWarren is one of the inventors of mRNA and he believes 1 to 2 billion will die from this vaxx. [twitter.com]

Posted by CourseofEmpireThe vast majority are vaxxed. This can’t be the unvaxxed who are mostly dying. Remember, they are a few months ahead of the Northern hemisphere.

Posted by CourseofEmpireAwesome 😂

Posted by CourseofEmpireWeimar (yes, THAT Weimar) will no longer report numbers of vaxxed people being hospitalized for COVID because the truth might be used for "misinformation." -Lovecraft's Cat

Posted by CourseofEmpireAny cause. This is an amazing vaccination, you are almost invincible if you get it, everyone (except a few little side effects and such)! 😂

Posted by CourseofEmpireHow long before a politician is physically attacked and even killed for mandating vaccines? [news.com.au]

Posted by CourseofEmpireNotice how much things increased with this one vaccine?

• Top tags#video #world #media #government #hope #biden #money #Police #youtube #reason #truth #death #god #culture #rights #whites #democrats #society #China #politics #USA #freedom #vote #evidence #Canada #children #videos #TheTruth #liberal #racist #nation #evil #fear #kids #racism #chinese #friends #hell #conservative #community #crime #propaganda #justice #Christian #book #population #religion #FreeSpeech #antifa #violence ...

Members 1,889Top