slug.com slug.com
2 2

Psalm 40: David's Life - Chuck Missler.

It is always a treat to listen to a Chuck Missler sermon because you almost always end up taking away a new insight or two. Or more.

eschatologyguy 9 Jan 18
You must be a member of this group before commenting. Join Group

Be part of the movement!

Welcome to the community for those who value free speech, evidence and civil discourse.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I don't want to be a wet blanket here, but I was not too impressed with his misuse/misunderstanding of the Hebrew term kārāh in verse 6, which he takes as a reference to the practice of piercing an ear of a slave who wants to remain in the service of his master, as described in Exod. 21:6 and Deut. 15:17. However, I do not think this is an allusion to either of those texts because the Hebrew word in each of those texts is rāṣā‛ ("pierce" ), not kārāh ("dig" ) as in Ps. 40:6. Albeit obscure -- to my knowledge the only such use in the Old Testament with reference to an ear -- it is actually understood by most Biblical scholars as a metaphor for cleaning out the ear so that someone can hear properly. It would, then, not be too far from our saying, "take the wax out of your ears," to someone who doesn't appear to be listening. Yes, the word does literally most often mean "to dig" (never "pierced through," as with an awl, as Chuck suggests) but it is clearly being used figuratively here. Spiros Zodhiates accurately gives the basic range of meaning of the word in The Complete Word Study Dictionary when he writes:

A verb indicating to dig. It refers to digging, cleaning out sufficient dirt and debris for various purposes: a grave (Gen. 50:5); a well (Gen. 26:25); a pit (Exo_21:33), etc. It is used in several idioms and figures of speech: wicked persons get into a helpless situation, pits, into which they fall (Psa. 7:15 [16]); persons lacking character create problems and situations that catch others (Prov. 16:27), but they themselves will fall into their own pits (Prov. 26:27). The Lord opens His servants' ears (digs their ears) so they can hear (Psa. 40:6 [7]). The Lord digs a pit to receive the wicked (Psa. 94:13).

Although his overall teaching in the video is quite good and encouraging, such linguistic errors really tend to stand out to me. I can't help noticing them. It goes along with my calling and my training, I suppose, and I don't always point them out when I see them (they occur a lot these days). In this case, thankfully, it does not lead to any serious doctrinal issue, but often such errors do lead to doctrinal issues, so it behooves us to avoid them whenever we can.

Hebrew: כּרה
Transliteration: kârâh
Pronunciation: kaw-raw'
Definition: A primitive root; properly to dig; figuratively to plot; generally to bore or open

It does mean dig, as you say. But it also does mean open.

Chuck is not committing "linguistic error" here as you are accusing him of committing. In fact, the translators to the KJV translated it as "open" and not "dig", did they not? The opening of the ear with an awl does not keep a bond slave with the family he chooses to serve; his love for said family does. The awl ceremony is just a symbol of it. The nails on Christ's wrists and feet were not the ones holding him to that tree; his love for us all did. If you think Chuck was teaching that Christ is our bondslave, you missed his point of the symbolism of Christ's commitment there.

@eschatologyguy I don't know what you are citing there, but I assure you I am very well acquainted with the best lexical works, and they all essentially agree with Zodhiates' understanding as cited above. These works would include, for example, A Hebrew and English Lexicon of the Old Testament (Brown, Driver, and Briggs), Theological Wordbook of the Old Testament (Archer and Harris), and Hebrew and Aramaic Lexicon of the Old Testament (Koehler and Baumgartner). I could also include numerous exegetical commentaries that focus on the meaning of the Hebrew text. My point is that I'm hardly alone in my understanding of the Hebrew word here. What I'm saying is pretty much the standard view among Biblical scholars so far as I can tell.

It does mean dig, as you say. But it also does mean open.

Right. That is the metaphorical meaning I was talking about. The verb is being used figuratively to describe opening the ears so that someone may hear. This is the correct meaning in this instance, which is reflected not only in the KJV, but also in the CSB, ESV, NASB, and NKJV, to name but a handful of versions that reflect this understanding, the understanding for which I argued above. The original NIV actually appeared to agree with Chuck's view when it rendered the clause in verse 6, "but my ears you have pierced." However, it corrected this in a subsequent revision and rendered the clause, "but my ears you have opened." At any rate, the view that it alludes to the practice of piercing the ear of a slave as in Exod. 21:6 and Deut. 15:17 -- the view put forth by Chuck -- is incorrect.

I fully understand, by the way, the meaning of the ceremony described in Exodus 21 and Deuteronomy 15:17. I just don't see any reason to understand Psalm 40:6 as alluding to it, and I don't think that this is the meaning any of the aforementioned versions see here either.

By the way, I am not trying to be offensive or to attack Chuck personally. I really don't know much about him. And I am not trying to undermine the main thrust of his teaching in the video, which I found sound and encouraging (as I indicated above). I just think he has made a mistake here on this particular linguistic point, that's all.

@KeithThroop you never came across equivocations of Hebrew words in scripture? Strong's is replete with multiple definitions of single words. Even prophecies can have both medium and long term applications. You have indeed missed Chuck's point here: and that is, Christ is committed. You would be absolutely right if this verse just talked about David alone. But in its Messianic application (which Hebrews 10 establishes), do you really think the Father needed to clear Christ's ears so He could hear? If you view it in its Messianic application, Chuck would be in the right here, not Zodhiates.

@eschatologyguy I am quite familiar with biblical linguistics and lexical semantics. I've got lots of study on these issue under my belt, brother. In fact, I teach a graduate course in Biblical Hermeneutics. So, yes, I am quite aware that words can have multiple meanings. This recognition actually formed part of the case I was making.

No, I didn't miss Chuck's overall point, nor his emphasis on the Messianic application, with which I agreed. I just didn't talk about it because it was not directly germane to the issue I was raising. At any rate, I don't think there is any point in continuing the conversation because we are clearly talking past one another. Unless you have a specific question for me, whatever you may write next can be the last word between us on the matter. I wish you a good day. 🙂

Howdy @eschatologyguy,

Thanks for this video. Chuck Missler's dive into the Psalms was something I really needed.

We all need it, especially in these uncertain times.

Recent Visitors 3

Photos 116 More

Posted by eschatologyguy Warning: Rather dark content.

Posted by WeltansichtPsalm 122:6 Tehillim 122:6

Posted by Weltansicht For KosherTorah School Students The Private Teachings of R.

Posted by Weltansicht For KosherTorah School Students The Private Teachings of R.

Posted by eschatologyguy A Likely Scenario (based on many prophetic passages) The Left never sleeps and they never stop plotting utterly sick, perverse evil.

Posted by eschatologyguyA covenant in a generic sense is a peace agreement.

Posted by eschatologyguy The idea or concept of being allowed to escape the coming tribulation was already prophesied back in Job and Psalms and the prophets.

Posted by WeltansichtAhh, to be as children ;-)

Posted by WeltansichtFrom Jerusalem Hashem bless all of us with a wonderful, healthy, sweet, and productive New Year… A year of peace.

Posted by WeltansichtThe rabbi has not done a live FB session in a long long time, so it must be insightfully important. 8 PM EASTERN His page: [facebook.com]

Posted by eschatologyguyI have a high respect for these two guys, but the more they shoehorn Russia in as the endtime bogeyman and claiming it to be "prophetic," the more incredible they sound.

Posted by WeltansichtNot sure if it is prophetical, but there are ways to support Israel, despite the globalists' apartheid boycott divestment and sanctions movement. [levhaolam.com]

Posted by eschatologyguy Most Troy Black's "prophecies" missed the mark. I wouldn't be surprised if that's where he got his revelations from. Careful with "internet prophets."

Posted by eschatologyguy The Philippine Department of Education just opened the door to let the LGBT ideological insanity in. Clueless leaders being clueless. What could possibly go wrong?

Posted by WeltansichtBehold, I will send for many fishers, saith the Lord, and they shall fish them; and after will I send for many hunters, and they shall hunt them from every mountain, and from every hill, and out of ...

Posted by eschatologyguy One world government has its appeal with science buffs who are told by popular physicists like Michio Kaku, Neil DeGrasse Tyson and others that this would be a necessary development to allow a ...

• Top tags#video #god #Israel #Bible #world #ChuckMissler #church #Jesus #Christians #earth #faith #Christian #biden #iran #Rapture #nation #book #truth #hope #evil #government #pastor #reason #military #Islam #media #China #money #children #nuclear #USA #hell #sin #EndTimeProphecy #youtube #ancient #teachers #death #Jerusalem #holy #evidence #democrats #Satan #TheTruth #population #spirit #verses #fear #Canada #MiddleEast ...

Members 139Top

Moderators