slug.com slug.com
51 8

Does teaching "white guilt" also cultivate a "white pride" backlash?

Glenn Loury, a black author and professor of Economics at Brown University, recently wrote an article entitled "Unspeakable Truths about Racial Inequality in America". In it, he lists ways that "cancel culture" is enforcing a world-view that is often not fully backed up with facts and evidence. He posits further that the vilification of white people and their ancestors could result in an argumentatively justifiable "white pride" backlash. Specifically, he writes:

I wonder if the “white-guilt” and “white-apologia” and “white-privilege” view of the world cannot exist except also to give birth to a “white-pride” backlash, even if the latter is seldom expressed overtly—it being politically incorrect to do so.

Confronted by someone who is constantly bludgeoning me about the evils of colonialism, urging me to tear down the statues of “dead white men,” insisting that I apologize for what my white forebears did to the “peoples of color” in years past, demanding that I settle my historical indebtedness via reparations, and so forth—I well might begin to ask myself, were I one of these “white oppressors,” on exactly what foundations does human civilization in the 21st century stand? I might begin to enumerate the great works of philosophy, mathematics, and science that ushered in the “Age of Enlightenment,” that allowed modern medicine to exist, that gave rise to the core of human knowledge about the origins of the species or of the universe. I might begin to tick-off the great artistic achievements of European culture, the architectural innovations, the paintings, the symphonies, etc. And then, were I in a particularly agitated mood, I might even ask these “people of color,” who think that they can simply bully me into a state of guilt-ridden self-loathing, where is “their” civilization?

Now, everything I just said exemplifies “racist” and “white supremacist” rhetoric. I wish to stipulate that I would never actually say something like that myself. I am not here attempting to justify that position. I am simply noticing that, if I were a white person, it might tempt me, and I cannot help but think that it is tempting a great many white people. We can wag our fingers at them all we want but they are a part of the racism-monger’s package. If one is going to go down this route, one has got to expect this. How can we make “whiteness” into a site of unrelenting moral indictment without also occasioning it to become the basis of pride, of identity and, ultimately, of self-affirmation?

In a way similar to "Black Pride", "Asian Pride" and "Latino Pride" where associated people share camaraderie, a sense of identity, and an admiration for their history, is there a factual or moral argument for people of European ancestry to have "White Pride" (or "Anglo/Euro Pride" )? If not, why not?

White people having/expressing pride in the accomplishments of their ancestors...

• 1 vote
  • 0 votes
  • 1 vote
  • 1 vote
  • 2 votes
  • 1 vote
  • 1 vote
  • 129 votes
  • 40 votes
  • 21 votes
Admin 8 Feb 17
You must be a member of this group before commenting. Join Group

Be part of the movement!

Welcome to the community for those who value free speech, evidence and civil discourse.

Create your free account

51 comments (51 - 51)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Yeah “white culture (a term made up in America, because ‘white’ was never a unifying factor in human history. Clear toned skinned tribes warred against each other until the immigration to America, where nationality and tribal history became compromised by the melting pot.)”. “Black” culture is just a stereotype of African tribal break down as well, when tribes like Zulu were distinctly different in culture from neighboring tribes.

Science “enlightenment” was the Driving force of European, thus American, racism justification. However religion like Christianity dislodged tribal superiority by saying “in Christ there is neither male nor female, yew or gentile, slave or freeman; all are one body, that of the faith of Christ. Outside of Christian religion there are worldly reasons for believing in superiority. Supernaturally, we can overcome judgements and discrimination, as Christian religion even promotes humbling itself to its own enemy “if someone strikes you on the cheek, turn to them the other””bless those who curse you and spitefully use you, and do not curse”
The ultimate Christian is a martyr for righteousness.

Is racism real In America today? Perhaps subconsciously, even those who profess they hate it, I’ve noticed do t interact naturally or equally as thier own “Race”, but this is because we are familiar with our native culture/family, outside of that is strange and stressful. It’s natural to be unfamiliar with alien tribes, they have different character, looks, music, faith, history, complaints etc. even at BLM Seattle CHAD, where clear toned skins fought for heavy pigmented skins right to thrive, there’s was a clear distinction in group confluence, except where male/female pairing would happen, but sex intercourse doesn’t mean non-racist.

But why do we talk about thought crimes and give it more time? Who is antagonizing America to think we do t enjoy our multiethnic existence? We have coexisted for hundred years, and people antagonize each other for personal reasons. Rejecting a person for the family they were born into is biased, but it’s not illegal to be prejudiced, and trying to force through censorship is against human liberty. What if there was a race that was antagonistic to the world, I want to be able to discuss why Jewish people are always part of international conflict without being censored, while also proclaim thing their family “Gods favorite people” and only believe in Jewish superiority. Did Germany develope antagonism against the wealthy family which controlled its market even though they were allowed as guest into the countries they wonder to, they soon seize financial success and eventually control a contries financies and industries, meanwhile thier family religion demands them to be racist. I don’t believe Nazis are correct in white supremacy, or even national superiority, and I don’t believe Jewish superiority. I believe Jesus, that God creates us, and Governments are designed to be helpful to its citizens. I love the Jewish people and encourage them to study John the Baptist. Same for the Gentiles: Asian, European/African/American/Australian

But yes White unity have done misdeeds to all people. Partly motivated by spiritual ills like Greed or hate. But still white culture is intrinsic as the others, we all contribute to our delinquency and our justification.

Naturally people are alien to each other, we can hardly exist as family anymore. Racism card is a scapegoat for self-victimization. Stop entertaining people who police legal thoughts

Any person with accomplishments should be praised no matter what color they are.

@Letemdangle It here it is. Self defined “should be”Ian. Decapitating an indexed should be praised? Child soldiers should be praised? Being drunk should be praise? What’s a universal accomplishment? What if a “color” as you say was antagonistic? Should we praise that art?

Recent Visitors 173

Photos 127 More

Posted by Admin Does teaching "white guilt" also cultivate a "white pride" backlash?

Posted by Admin Is it time to take a knee on the Superbowl?

Posted by Admin Why not equality right now?

Posted by Admin How's Biden doing?

Posted by Admin How many good friends do you have from other political tribes?

Posted by Admin What did Trump do, if anything, to incite violence?

Posted by Admin Is free speech dead?

Posted by Admin Under what time and circumstance is the use of violence warranted?

Posted by Admin Now what?

Posted by Admin What do you expect to be achieved by this week's pro-Trump DC rally?

Posted by Admin What did you learn in 2020?

Posted by Admin Should pedophiles be allowed to have "child" sex robots?

Posted by Admin Do you have a "line in the sand" regarding political or social change?

Posted by Admin Should big tech firms hire more Blacks and Hispanics?

• Top tags#video #media #racist #world #biden #truth #government #liberal #racism #democrats #conservatives #society #politics #community #youtube #justice #IDW #hope #friends #videos #Identity #FreeSpeech #Google #book #policy #vote #Police #conservative #evidence #culture #violence #reason #economic #USA #liberals #tech #Socialmedia #money #god #guns #gender #whites #campaign #population #laws #religion #TheTruth #equality #democrat #Christian ...

Members 9,848Top