slug.com slug.com

13 4

As a man who has been married for 30+ years... first wife was 13 years and with the second wife it's been 17 years!

My question is... how do you remain sane and not want to run away! I want to see the country and my wife is happy to stay at home!

lockdown299 3 May 28

Be part of the movement!

Welcome to the community for those who value free speech, evidence and civil discourse.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Open marriage. Negotiable.

I have been married 53 years (same woman) and had a dream of driving as far north in Canada as possible (3500 miles one way). The goal was Inuvik of the ice road truckers. I talked with her about it, not demanding, just reaffirming my dream. It took 10 years before she agreed and I went.

Find an older RV or an old short bus (you can easily find older models for under a few grand), then gut it and redo and update it with her input, turn it into a dream home away from home.
There is all kinds of little tricks to make it enjoyable to be on the road with it.

You may not have tomorrow or the ability to enjoy it. go ! I have watched men go old and die bitter because their wives would not travel with them.

You're in a bad situation my friend. You only live one life and asking to travel a bit is not unreasonable. I know it's more fullfilling to share your special times in life with the one you love. You need to learn to spend time alone. Don't give up on your longing to see things new. In my 40's thur 60's I traveled alone all thoughout Central American. I lost my first wife because of this but I lived a life and shared my life with so many new people I now have beautiful memories that very few have enjoyed. You must decide what it's worth to you to travel. Maybe you have your marriage and still do your travels. Best of luck.

I have been married 50+ years to the same woman. I live in Wisconsin and heard of the Dempster Highway in Canada, the farthest north you can drive in Canada. I lobbied for 10 years and finally got my wish.

Isn't that why they invented National Geographic Channel for the home

And Home shopping network for the camper ??

Just Sayin

You don't have to stay home all of the time and she doesn't have to go on the road all of the time. There are probably a lot of practical reasons she enjoys travel less than you do. Have you asked what she dreads about traveling? It could be that the confined space and extra work make it less pleasurable and relaxing. RV kitchens are inconvenient for meal prep and cleanup. RV bathrooms make personal hygiene difficult. The short supply of hot water, the limited supply of clean water, and having to visit dump sites every few days to empty the black and grey water tanks is a pain. Do you have pets? If so, the world revolves around keeping them leashed, frequent walks, and carrying poop bags everywhere. Is the RV in the photo the one you travel in? That's a really tight sleeping compartment. Might work for overnight camping or fo one person, but not for 2 people to live in. Getting up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom would require contortionist agility. If you want your wife to travel with you, find out what would make it doable for her. My husband and I have a classic travel trailer for weekend camping and vacations. It is not a glamorous way to travel, but it's a lot healthier than staying in motels and eating in restaurants. Talk to your wife. Maybe she doesn't want to be away from her garden and come home to dead plants? If so, travel during the dormant season or hire a lawn service.

Yes ma'am I've talked at length with my wife. I'm a 13½ Veteran, Retired LEO and I've traveled before I met my current wife! My wife and I met online in an old Yahoo chat room... romantic huh?! She's from West Los Angeles and I'm from the Bakersfield farming area; big city meets small town!!! Well, she fell in love with me (obviously) and she fell in love with my boys and the small life!!! You see where this is going?!?! Her idea of traveling is hotels and dining out, whereas... well you know what I want! I've done it her way and now it's my turn and she doesn't want to give!!! By the way, she has a black thumb when it comes to plants 🤠 When it comes to doing things... I want to have shared experiences with my wife... I'm gonna give it another try (talking) with the wife!

@lockdown299 Tell her how much it costs to get rid of bedbugs. They LOVE the best hotels 😉

This one was the first thing I read on the site this morning.

You brought up the fact that this is your 2nd marriage. You aren't looking for a travel solution. You're looking for a "marriage solution."

If you like being married to this person, I'd suggest you talk to someone. Best, T

Careful there; you never know when you're talking to someone who has been a widower. Just something to think about.

@Geofrank

I'll leave it to him to sort it out. Besides, after 10 weeks of lockdown, who the hell doesn't want to see the world?

The guy has a problem. In a marriage, you never have a problem by yourself. He didn't say, 'my wife doesn't want to travel..." he introduced the fact that he's in his 2nd marriage.

Now, take it awayyyy, Geofrank!

My first wife cheated on me while I was in the military and left shortly after I got out! Counseling with the wife and I isn't an issue. My wife has PTSD from a head-on collision we had; a sleepy driver crossed in front of us, I was doing 55 mph and the CHP said the other driver was doing 45 mph! I have PTSD from my time in the military, so I get restless and need to get away from where we live!

@lockdown299
Well, there you go! Those are items that you guys can get a handle on. At least you know something about yourselves, which is more than a lot of couples.

Whatever the deal, you're still married to each other and one of you wants to travel and the other doesn't. If that's fine w/ BOTH of you, there's no problem. But it sounds like there's a problem.

Your first wife cheated. Maybe hitting the road by yourself is okay w/ her---and I would have no reason to think she wouldn't do just fine for a month or so. Or, maybe that's a hurdle YOU don't want to cross.
That isn't just PTSD, that's normal after a bad marital experience. Remember, you married THIS gal, not the old gal. But, if it's ruling the way you guys are approaching this stuff, a little outside input might help. Maybe a talk w/ a pro.

Good luck, and Thank You
from the bottom of my heart for your service. T

@Terence57 Well said. Your head's obviously screwed on straight and square...and that's a good thing to find in these days.

@Geofrank
Everybody has crap, right?
Thanks. T

Like most things in life, it sounds like some compromise needs to be reached. My wife and I are the opposite of you two. She loves to go, I am happy at home. We make it work, she has friends, she has hobbies. She makes camping trips with her friends to ride their horses and I do my thing at home. We enjoy our time together but are not afraid to do our own things either. We don't feel like we have to be under each other all the time and maybe that is whey it works for us. I don't know.

Talk, maybe a short trip here and there for her, and trips for you with friends or by yourself to keep you both happy. There must be something she would like to do or see, just keep it short.

I would say try for a compromise. Perhaps make it into a fun picnic date or something of the sort. Women love that. But at the end of the day, relationships work because both are free to live your lives. If your relationship is built on trust, which if you’ve been married for 17 plus years (awesome, by the way) it most likely is, feel free to live your life as long as you both stay in communication and agreement.

Women enjoy picnics, if they are not solely responsible for making the food, packing all of the supplies, serving the meal, and cleaning up the mess. That's a lot more trouble than eating at home.

@DMcCreery1956 You do have a point. Of course, that is not what I was implying, but still true.

Don't let the door hit you in the ass, she will either go or not, having the ability to enjoy your life is part of any relationship, test the water, see where it leads.

Right on Scotty. I walked off a deadend job once and told my unaventurous first wife I've gotta take a break. I bought a plane ticket to Belize. Didn't know anything about the country. Just got off in Belize City and didn't come back for 25 years.

Don't know what to tell you there, as I've yet to tie the knot. Maybe take her traveling once for a few days and see if she enjoyed herself or not?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:99653
Slug does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.