slug.com slug.com

15 1

What Happens When We Die?

It’s a simple question. What happens when we die? Do you believe in an after life? Heaven, Hell, nothing?

Let’s discuss

WRHoffmann 4 May 21

Be part of the movement!

Welcome to the community for those who value free speech, evidence and civil discourse.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I think that after I die, nothing happens. It's the end of my consciousness.

I hope I'm wrong and that there is an afterlife! That would be a much nicer alternative. I would like to have faith. I was religious once, but I never could find faith. Some Christian people talk about how they "feel" a presence of God, Jesus, or the Holy Spirit. I have tried and I believe I've tried in earnest, but I could never feel it myself.

Every so often, I still reach out and try. Maybe one day, it will be different and faith will find me! But until then, I have to assume that this is the only life I get. And I have to make the most of it.

Go along the city block you live on, knock on each door. Ask those living there if they or anyone they know has experienced any form of life after death, any memory of leaving their body. I guarantee that within a couple of blocks you will find at least one and likely a number of people who experienced leaving their body or their uncle or cousin did.
I read about it through a few books, I've thought about it, but the straw that broke the camels back was my Father who left his body while paramedics tried desperately to save his life. There is much more to that story and how my Mother and some supernatural influence was involved. An eye opening story and too long for this format. But their experience was enough to convince me (as well as numerous of my own experiences) that there is far more to this life than our limited senses are capable of realizing.

I believe there is more after death. Rebirth, reincarnation, mastery of our souls through many life times. You see allot of mention in religious text about rebirth or reincarnation(as well as reference to it in many cultures), though I am not arguing that this is evidence of them. Everyone has their sentiment on this subject. Personally I do believe in rebirth and reincarnation, maybe it is just that I want to believe that my soul or my energy has a chance to experience more of this world. I believe Heaven and Hell are something we experience actively in our lives(while we are alive not in the karmic sense). How we decide to live out these lives, and how we deal with the hardships we are faced with. I have personally been pondering these things for as long as I can remember.

If the soul is another form energy does it follow the same rules as presented by known science? Why/why not. Now as far as I know we have the science that provides us with tools that actually give us a visual on the human electromagnetic field (we all have one), some people refer to them as auras. Are these fields a manifestation of our souls? What other information do these electromagnetic fields have that could give us perspective into life, and death?

People live extremely brief lives compared to the age of the earth. The earth is extremely short lived compared to the future of the universe. The universe is a blink of an eye compared to the future of the multiverse. We can't really perceive the magnitude of a google (10 followed by 100 zeros) Imagine a googleplex years (10 followed by a google of zeros). The probability of our original atoms and molecules (or at least identical atoms and molecules) reforming us as individuals approaches certainty!

Our brain looses the ability to send signals about it and therefor all consciousness ends. The molecules that make up our bodies start to come apart and eventually become part of something else. The only thing left of us is the little changes we made in our environment. Our idea of an afterlife derives from our strongest instinct, which is that we are absolutely forbidden to die. Having developed the ability to realize that death is inevitable, we have to make up something that allows us to obey that command.

Reality is fluid and by its very nature defies absolutes. At the finest gradients of reality everything is in a constant state of motion, a vast sea of potentiality swirling into probability finding itself at a precipice - our perception of reality.

Death is simply an idea we place on to a concept we just don't understand.

If we want to take a look at history Thoth.Hermes the thrice born cheated death thousands of years before Jesus, Summerian tales, ancient egyptian tales, asyrian, vedic and i'm sure more have depiction of cheating death - some even tell you how to do it. There is exceptional evidence suggesting there was a proto culture that spanned the globe 13,000+ years ago and these ancient societies as we call them are remnants of that civilization restarted after a great cataclysm (multiple as it were culminating in the flood myths of various cultures/religions).

Yet, we don't hear drinking stories from 3000bc at the local bar - so what gives? Did we lose the knowledge? Is this simply an expression of humanities imagination? Or maybe there is more to the equation?

Physics like to say that matter can not be destroyed - I like to claim that fabric of spacetime is likely a vast sea of 'Information' - combining the two my gut oversimplifying of this is that death as we see it is a dissolution of consciousness on this perception of reality. Consciousness being an emergent property of the reality we inhabit and in order for it to emerge it would mean it already exists as part of the fabric of existence, that vast sea of potentiality.

Imagine a drop of water hitting a relatively calm vat of water - you see the water deform and then a spike (birth) which forms a sphere of water on the surface of water which will deform and eventually rejoin the rest of the water - here is a video of water droplets on water for a visualization:

Well most of post a lot less

And less is more... more or less.

It’s very interesting topic since most theories out there seem equally logical since we don’t know much. Personally, I think the idea of reincarnation is cool, even if it is the most unlikely.

I fully believe we continue to live as a spirit when we die; we’ll be the same person as we are here - just without a physical body. I have felt the spiritual presence of family who have died at a couple special sacred occasions and have experienced myself that they continue to live on. I also believe when we die that the gospel is taught to those who have never heard or accepted it and we’ll all continue to live in this world as spirits. We will learn and teach until the resurrection comes and we will eventually receive our old physical bodies again only our bodies will be immortal which cannot die or feel pain anymore. Just like Jesus’ resurrected body.

The Bible is made up people did not know how to write back then old read so no way did the Bible get made when it said it did. How could someone who just started out know how to read and write instantly. The Bible was made to brainwash and control people like a cult of course that's what your church's are for. But there is a god.

Give the Holy Bible a look. With the web, its really easy to search by subject.

I believe in Scripture, which tells us that we shall be taken from our body here to the root "dimension" of our attached thinner dimension we know as the Universe, by the person of Jesus Christ, who knows everything that happens here, including our deepest thoughts and feelings.

And it tells of the history of Jesus Christ on Earth, including his death - unwittingly very well documented by the Romans, his resurrection - also unwittingly assured by the Romans posting guards, and the 500 witnesses who saw Him afterward. Almost all of the Disciples and witnesses were tortured and none relented about what they saw, through the pain of death.

If you ever have discussed this with anyone in the military who has had the job of interrogating, you know that EVERYONE who suffers in interrogation will tell you whatever they think you want to hear. None of Jesus' witnesses did. There has never been that kind of support of any other belief in human history.

I truly admire those who come to this by faith. I did not. As an engineer, I came to this by skepticism. I know the physics that shows us the likely possibility that our universe is merely a "crucible" that was created for the sole purpose of bringing us to sentience, a little bit like a butterfly emerging from a cocoon, with no knowledge of what is to come.

Call me crazy, but I’ve had experiences which have me wondering. I used to be a realist about dying and believed what Adrian and Weirkilby believe. Now I’m not so sure.

Putting it all out there, I am a pastor. I believe fully in an afterlife and God. My reason for asking this question was to understand more where this platform was. I have joined other platforms that said they were a free speech place but then I start posting stuff about God and I get shadow band and avoided.

I won't be all preachy but I will share the Good news of Jesus.

@WRHoffmann, Pastor, there are trolls here as well, who are lovingly tolerated, and sometimes blocked only by individuals for short or longer periods, who wish to cease a fruitless discussion that will not end otherwise. Thank you for sharing the Gospel. God bless you.

@WRHoffmann My opinion only, but there are many highly intellectual people on this site who side with proof and fact. The subject of religion and Jesus lies more on faith and hope. I think there are different groups on this site with views of both.

@FEWI, I am an engineer of high intelligence who has found the existence and resurrection of Jesus Christ credible based on fact. As the physicist Heisenberg said, "The Universe is not only stranger that we think. It is stranger than we CAN think." So if you are not a highly intelligent person, or don't know physics, you can be forgiven for assuming that those things guarantee a disbelief in Christ.

@TimTuolomne I am neither intellectual or a whiz at physics nor am I good at putting what I mean in words. If you understood me to say that all intellectuals were non believers, I truly apologize. That’s not what I meant.

@FEWI. I did take it that way, and I appreciate your contrition. Perhaps the fault was mine.

We rot, unless we are artificially preserved, or cremated.

It's exactly what it was like before we existed.

i only watched the first show and quit....

Seems like the movie Downsizing but just with the after life. Once again Hollywood has no more original ideas.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:98132
Slug does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.