slug.com slug.com

2 3

Back to the Dark Matter Crud. Not to sure I buy into it.

One of the deepest mysteries in physics, known as the Hubble tension, could be explained by a long-since vanished form of dark matter.

The Hubble tension refers to a growing contradiction in physics: The universe is expanding, but different measurements produce different results for precisely how fast that is happening. Physicists explain the expansion rate with a number, known as the Hubble constant (H0). H0 describes an engine of sorts that’s driving things apart over vast distances across the universe. According to Hubble’s Law (where the constant originated), the farther away something is from us, the faster it's moving.

And there are two main ways of calculating H0. You can study the stars and galaxies we can see, and directly measure how fast they're moving away. Or you can study the cosmic microwave background (CMB), an afterglow of the Big Bang that fills the entire universe, and encodes key information about its expansion.

[livescience.com]

kresica 7 May 3

Be part of the movement!

Welcome to the community for those who value free speech, evidence and civil discourse.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Electric Universe theory explains it much better than dark matter, here is some info.

Good one Scotty! I learned some things I had not seen before. I'm super grateful! An electric Universe makes so much sense, that its almost a mystery that none of us saw it before now, isn't it? And as you probably know, electric and magnetic energy is equivalent to mass on scales of the Universe.

Among the problems with cosmology, many think that the "constants" may not actually be constant. Time, for example. We can't prove it yet because we are inside the system we are trying to evaluate, so we have no objective standard, but there are hints that time may be deccelerating. 1000 orbits around the Sun may have happened in a previously more contracted Universe in the same time as a year now. True, or artifact of something else? We don't know yet.

There was a time not very long ago when we thought space was filled with "ether." The idea is eerily similar to the current "dark matter" idea, isn't it? Or is the mass of the Higgs boson inching its way down?

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:94851
Slug does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.