slug.com slug.com

2 3

I believe, and i will paraphrase as well as i can, that no media can be truly objective. This was Hunter's thinking behind "gonzo" journalism. Why pretend to be objective when it's just not possible. Everyone has a bias and even when just reporting "facts" those facts are chosen by a writer or editor who has preconceived notions, it's inescapable. We can strive for balanced media that strives to present both sides to a story but true objectivity, in my opinion, is impssible. I live in a small city in Canada and i find it weird that most believe that our media is mostly balanced, in fact i find it mostly left leaning and although i would consider myself to hold mostly leftist ideology i can't help notice that when i watch far right media (always try to get both sides of a picture) that I learn alternate facts. When i check these facts by tracing them to source material i find them to be true e.g. alex jones (not a fan) on joe rogan where i learned and verified in scientific american (quite sure that's where but can't remeber the month and year) that governments (i assume american but cannot discount canadian as well) had used cell towers to emit frequencies that would "calm people down in times of panic" which is in essence, trying to control our minds using existing infrastructure. I have never found any reference to this on the CBC or CTV (Canadian news sources who pretend to be impartial) so this is just one instance of an article which I think would be of interest to all people, left or right, but was obviously ignored as it paints our governments with a negative bias. Now we have a system where people desire "click bait " news and people tend to watch whichever media represents the side they are on. Sadly i miss Hunter S. Thompson and believe his take on everything that has taken place over the last 4 or 5 years would have been a thing of beauty. Of course, maybe he already saw it coming and that's why he chose to end his life.

char1emagne 4 Apr 26

Be part of the movement!

Welcome to the community for those who value free speech, evidence and civil discourse.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I don't think media was ever supposed to be impartial and there is no historical evidence that it ever war. People tend to say so but that is anecdotal and based on memories of "the good old times". I have read through a lot of old news papers (like founding era American Newspapers) and they are just as biased and political. a 1790's newspaper called John Adams a hermaphrodite.

Really I don't think they should be objective either. I don't believe it is a bad thing having bias and opinions in media reporting. You should be exposed to opinions and ideas contrary to your own. It is much more dangerous for you to either A) not be able to recognize bias or B) be able to and self select only the ones you agree with so that you never have to hear a contrary opinion.

I really enjoy your perspective and historical examples to compare our currrent state of media to that of our forebears. I cannot fault your logic but would like to add that our education system should concentrate more on questioning things and applying logic and rationality to the things we are taught. It seems to me that education is more if a path to indoctrination and compliance than to actual learning. True learning would be teaching someone how to learn. Maybe the analogy of teaching a man to fish feeds him for life as opposed to catching a fish and feeding him for a day. I almost changed that last sentence to remove gender but then i thought about it and left it hoping that people on this platform would not assume i was being sexist. I hope anyways but i definitely know there are places where they would. But thank you publius1788 for your contextualization of my original thought. Cheers.

Interestingly I believe a lot of education does just that. This makes an interesting circle where media bias shows is bad examples of education and not all of the good things happening in schools all the time. And again I think we see the results. There are lots of free and critical thinkers out there. This website is an example and testament to that fact. Our education system, as much as it is bashed, has produced one of the fastest growing and most successful economic and military powers in the world. Scientific developments are often in the lead here. Critical thinking is clearly coming from somewhere and are integral to the standards in most states.

Any fact can be portrayed as beneficial or detrimental to one or the other:
Individual, State.

If you trust the individual over the state, you portray action by the state on the individual as negative.
If you trust the state over the individual, you portray action by the state on the individual as positive.

You dismiss or suppress information that doesn't comply.

Get a few billionaires that depend on the state for the survival of their business model add the means of media production and you get the current state of mass schizophrenia.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:93321
Slug does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.