slug.com slug.com

4 4

LINK Childish... 😂 A Short History of the Croissant | Peacock Plume

Following the Ottomann defeat, according to some accounts, Austrian bakers wanted to celebrate their victory by creating a pastry that would symbolize the crescent moon that appears on the Turkish flag. The kipferl — the German word for "crescent" — became that symbol. For Austrians, eating a kipferl was a culinary re-enactment of victory over the Turks — eating their enemy.

Naomi 8 Nov 25

Be part of the movement!

Welcome to the community for those who value free speech, evidence and civil discourse.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

NOOO !!! My french pastry is Austrian - Germanic.

My world is shattered.

It is a favorite at the coffee club which I attend as often as possible at Pain Perdu. I have sent the link to all the club members.

That was fascinating, I never heard anything other than the croissant was french. Kind of like french toast isn't originally from France but rather the Roman empire.

I do like learning trivia history like this. Like how the phrase "saved by the bell" came into being. In days past folks used to be buried alive, apparently with some frequency. So in case a person being buried might not actually be dead a string was attached to a bell that was hung on the headstone, and run down into the casket. This problem also gave us the :"graveyard shift" as a person was hired just to sit in the graveyard and listen for the bell for a couple of nights after the funeral.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:61156
Slug does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.