slug.com slug.com

2 1

LINK Free speech: is it actually a good thing? - Vox

There's a novel thought.

"The sort of speech he’s talking about is public, the kind of stuff we hear on television or read in newspapers. He’s not suggesting we should even think about regulating private or interpersonal speech. And in fact, he doesn’t think we can even regulate public speech, mostly because we just don’t have a reliable way to do it.

But he does raise some interesting objections against what’s often called the “autonomy” defense of free speech, which holds that people are only free to the extent that they’re allowed to say what they want, read what they want, and determine for themselves what is true and what is false.

According to Leiter, this is a bogus argument because people are not actually free in the way we suppose. We’re all conditioned by our environment, and what we want and think are really just products of social, economic, and psychological forces beyond our control. If he’s right, then the “autonomy” defenses of free speech are just wrong, and probably dangerous."

kresica 7 Oct 1

Be part of the movement!

Welcome to the community for those who value free speech, evidence and civil discourse.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

This is why in my 20's I disassociated myself from Movies and TV and now refer to myself as an individualist.

As near as I can tell, the subject of the interview and author of the paper under discussion is frustrated that free speech interferes with the ability of the expert class to control the public narrative in the manner that would serve as persuasive upon the "lay-jurist" masses who make up the under-body of the polis. He correctly points out that "Capitalism" monetizes public speech through media, and turns the vast majority into little more than click-bait propaganda. The public good would be better served if the noise was reduced, and the "epistemic" signal were amplified through gate-keeping rules that would reduce the information available to the masses, in order that expert conclusions were drawn by said unwashed in a manner that would lead them to perceive those conclusions of experts as their own.

His conclusion and lamentation that our capitalistic system isn't structured to facilitate the censorious moderation of the public square is backhandedly framed as a case against capitalism itself. His criticism is more against the notion that criticism of the expert conclusion is allowed than it is against free speech itself. His criticism is more against capitalism than against the profit seeking nature of the elitist establishment media within a click-bait environment, and the natural tendency for that to result in propaganda mills pretending to be reliable sources of information.

This guy isn't concerned in the least about free speech, the free exchange of ideas, or even the societal search for true knowledge; this guy is whining that the expert class no longer monopolizes the form and flow of information, and that the free market of ideas has move the conversation out among the polis and has reduced the influence of the expert aristocracy.

He isn't wrong to worry, but it's really so unseemly to do it right in front of those for whom he obviously harbors contempt.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:53678
Slug does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.