slug.com slug.com

6 3

Looking at Ron DeSantis from a different angle here, and while I may not agree with every point made in the following article I think the overall message raised a good point, and that when politicians have conflicted past records on certain matters we the people should confront them and press them until we receive reasonable explanations.

American politics nowadays have degenerated to a point where if one side of the political aisle makes a stand on a particular issue the other side almost immediately and automatically takes the opposing viewpoint, and often times I've observed such going on minus any serious consideration on said matters regarding who exactly is correct or incorrect, and that sort of thing is only furthering the divide in our politics.

An example off the top of my head here... take the current Russia/Ukraine conflict, in the beginning back in late February of last year when Russia first invaded Ukraine there were a number of conservative politicians and commentators who took an almost immediate stand against Putin's illegal invasion, and for the first few weeks need I remind you that it was the Biden Administration that remained largely silent on all of that. Finally after enough outcry from his constituents, Biden finally made a statement on that conflict coming out in favor of Ukraine's side, and steadily in the time since a number of those on the right have shifted their own views on that conflict and adjust to a mindset that is in direct opposition to the Biden Admin's, regardless of said conservatives in the past having very hawkish views regarding Russia. But now since a good majority of the Democrats have taken a stand with Ukraine, the other side automatically feels compelled to take the opposing viewpoint, without so much as thinking that maybe just maybe both sides in that conflict could be in the wrong to an extent.

Personally speaking regarding the current Russian/Ukrainian conflict, I still feel on that matter as I've always had, that being the US should seriously limit how much of our taxpayer dollars go to any other country, and while I do sympathize with the Ukrainian citizens with what they are going through I just don't think we should continually blindly sending money overseas while our people over here could use the help first, but then again Democrats aren't exactly known for being fiscally conservative and the Biden Admin is certainly no exception to that.

Anyways, this is taking a look at DeSantis' less than desirable side, which I think is necessary to scrutinize being he could some day become President representing us all. When we the people have questions about our elected official's stances on particular issues, they owe us some serious answers if they truly want our votes...

Ron DeSantis is clumsily backing away from his past as a Russia hawk-
[reason.com]

SpikeTalon 10 Mar 7

Be part of the movement!

Welcome to the community for those who value free speech, evidence and civil discourse.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The only reason Ron would be considering a run for the White House in '24 is that the never-Trump faction is putting pressure on him to do so. He made a promise to Florida that he will serve out his second term as governor. That's why he beat the Democrat so handily. The Dems campaigned on the thought that DeSantis would bail out and run for president half way through the term. If Ron betrays Florida, for whom he has accomplished great things, can we expect him to be faithful to the whole of the nation if something "better" show up on his horizon?

DeSantis never promised to serve his full term, unless you have a more recent example?

[apnews.com]

Sometimes the opposition is because the position and behavior is wrong, like the Biden administration spending US dollars to defend a corrupt regime halfway across the world while US citizens (the residents of Palestine, Ohio being just one example) and the US economy suffer.

Trump should declare that the Republican party is the party of cookies, and Democrats will respond by hating cookies. They'll call cookies racist.

Come to the Republican side. We have cookies.

CPAC could have staged a publicity stunt and held a cookie-baking party. And BBQ.

Democrats don't want us to have nice things. Plastic straws, gas stoves, windows, gasoline, electricity, etc.

I agree that the Republican stance on Ukraine needs adjustment.

Reagan used Afghanistan to bleed the Soviets. It cost the Soviets too much to hold on to Afghanistan.

DeSantis has no policy or plan. He only has culture war. He only wants to "own the libs" even at the detriment to his state and country.

Our aid to Ukraine is seen as a preventative effort. It is a drop in the bucket of what we spend elsewhere. It helps in destabilizing Russia, one of our main rivals. It also helps to keep Putin from bigger aspirations. You just know if he takes Ukraine he will move on to the next territory, which will be a member of NATO, and then we are obligated to actually help and even send in troops.

Not sure why Republicans suddenly care about foreign influence, when they loved destabilizing middle eastern countries and installing their own puppets. And like you said, so many of them are now full on Putin supporters just because they want to disagree with Democrats. They are literally peddling Russian propaganda verbatim now.

I do agree, however, it would be better to spend money helping our own country and people. But the most vocal critics don't seem to want to actually do that. Ask them to spend that money to help our vets, or rebuild our crumbling infrastructure, or helping poor families lift themselves out of poverty, and they will throw a tantrum. They'd rather that money go towards giving billionaires and corporations more tax breaks and adding to our already bloated defense budget to build hundreds of jets that will sit in a warehouse forever.

When it comes to our country spending elsewhere, please keep in mind that I'm opposed to us sending our money to other countries as well besides Ukraine, including over the years the money we've invested in other allied countries like Israel. I'm fine with helping out a bit and sympathize with what the Ukrainian citizens are going through, but when is enough enough? Is this investment of ours (Ukraine) going to pay out in the long run? I can only hope it does, but I remain skeptical, and at times Zelensky making blunt demands seriously doesn't make it look good for his cause, and I suspect more and more Americans are starting to sour on us helping Ukraine that much while ignoring issues here. Either way you look at it, that conflict is bad news all around, and I don't think there are any clear winners, not yet anyways that I saw.

That was one of the reasons for this post... in my convos with others whether it be online or in daily life who are backing what Putin is doing, I try to understand their point of view on that matter but try as I may I cannot rationally justify their logic that somehow Putin is the good guy in all of that, despite a well documented past of civil rights abuses and being an all around ruthless tyrant. Especially knowing that alot of those very same individuals just a few years back never would have had anything positive to say about Putin. It's got to be identity politics that's spurring so many people to think like that, and being that I don't care for identity politics much is all the more reason why that's so obvious to me. When it comes to conflicts like that, I want the facts and the reality of the situation, and not taking political sides simply because some of one's own preferred politicians or commentators say a certain viewpoint is the correct one. In the year or so since Russia invaded Ukraine, I've been following that fairly close and so far based on evidence that I've analyzed would indicate that Russia is indeed consistently committing war crimes, and while the Ukrainians are also probably guilty of some similar crimes as well they still aren't as bad as what Putin is promoting. I go with what the OSINT sources have to say on the matter and frankly don't care about what our own known left-leaning media sources like CNN etc have to say, yet I've often been accused of following leftwing media sources when it comes to that conflict, which is far from true. So yeah, I'm baffled too as to why so many of those who claim to be small-government conservatives are putting their support behind a tyrant like Putin, and demonizing the Ukrainians at every chance they get? How's about criticizing both sides perhaps, that would be a bit more fair in my opinion, and question the narratives from both sides? As time allows me, found a good article from a conservative source that laid-out reasons why conservatives should never back a guy like Vladimir Putin, and will do a post on that soon. At least there are some conservatives left out there who criticize Putin.

Ukraine doesn't have enough of a history of self-governance to fall back on. It can't get its act together, and from an American perspective, it doesn't make sense to throw good money after bad.

The repeated billions and billions of taxpayer dollars going over there needs to stop, as there's no shortage of our fellow Americans who could use that money.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:404486
Slug does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.