slug.com slug.com

0 0

If this planet has one big breeding ground for movements that verge on the lunatic (or even cross that line), it is of course the "Fantasyland America" (Kurt Andersen). Movements, hypes, crazes I still can remember: the Satanic panic, beginning in the eighties; the "recovered memory movement" in the nineties; the fad about "multiple personalities" (there was a time when certain people who wanted to be 'hip' claimed to harbor several persons inside their head).
I'm sure that you are able to come up with other examples.

What about recent years? According to Andersen, America now lives more or less completely inside Fantasyland. I concur.
Two big movements come to my mind: one for the right and one for the left wing of the political divide. The right-wingers love all sorts of conspiracies, it really seems that they cannot live without them: The Big Steal and QAnon and its various ramifications are the finest examples one can imagine.

The craze the left has fallen for in the last 10+ years is 'transgender', a crossbreed of several elements and developments : postmodernism (the nutty idea that there is no reality 'out there', that there are only narratives and social constructs), the urge to support minorities, and the old left-progressive dream of getting rid of human nature, which is fettering human beings on their way to build utopia. The world we are living in is always dirty and sticky, so that only a new society of angels could regain paradise. And trans people are the epitome of these new angels: their identity, their essence, core is detached from the body and its features, and has become something entirely spiritual. An old Christian idea in new postmodern packaging.

Matias66 6 July 5

Be part of the movement!

Welcome to the community for those who value free speech, evidence and civil discourse.

Create your free account
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:350591