slug.com slug.com

9 4

Rabbits on Easter

Does anyone know why we celebrate Easter in America with the folk tale of a rabbit hiding eggs? Thanks.

Dustin 4 Apr 21

Be part of the movement!

Welcome to the community for those who value free speech, evidence and civil discourse.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Holidays have always been absorbed by the next dominate religion or culture. It makes it easier for the converts to continue enjoying their traditional festivals.

Just the Christians trying to absorb the pagans by merging holidays - spring equinox melded with Easter.

Celtic/ Germanic Goddess of the Spring Eostre. Her symbols were hares and eggs. Her feastday was merged with passover observance when Northern Europe was being converted to Christianity.

Yummy I haven’t had rabbit in along time . Mis my grandmas rabbit , fried in lard mmmm.

«The Easter Bunny is a folkloric figure and symbol of Easter, depicted as a rabbit bringing Easter eggs. Originating among German Lutherans, the "Easter Hare" originally played the role of a judge, evaluating whether children were good or disobedient in behavior at the start of the season of Eastertide.»

Wondrous Innocence and Modern American Children's Culture by Gary Cross

I might need to update Wikipedia to add that is when bunnies come out to start living off of my perennials.

Drunken story tellers

Now that a good lookin' Easter bunny!

What's the recipe, I'd real like to try rabbit, still 9 days left in the season. I'll have to try and get out before the end of the month.

Salt pepper garlic (all meat always) shoved garlic cloves and rosemary inside the bunny, bake on a bed of onions and carrots covered. 300 degrees. 3 hours. Broil til crispy. It’s great and simple. Good luck snaring one before the season ends.

Rabbit makes me hungry

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:32891
Slug does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.