slug.com slug.com

3 0

Be part of the movement!

Welcome to the community for those who value free speech, evidence and civil discourse.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I am neither for or against UBI at this time --- partially because it is just being tested and because the solution to the problem it is proposed to solve is in opposition to the capitalistic principles that has created the living standards that western society has achieved. However, I am strongly against not having a solution to dislocations and disruptions caused by AI, self-driving cars and automation in general. This technological advancement cannot (and should not) be stopped by laws and governments. Rather workable solutions need to be put into place before the first big disruption occurs when self-driving cars and trucks are common place. It is commonly accepted that work saving technology is increasing at an increasing rate. If your job seems safe now, can you say the same in 10 years or 15? What about that of your friends and neighbors? If they lose their job and need to sell their house, what will that do to the value of your house if there are more sellers than buyers?

But before solutions happen, discussion needs to take place. For those who post negative comments without posting a well thought out alternative, please consider adding your constructive thoughts to the dialog. No one person has the answer, but I do believe humanity is collectively smart enough to produce a solution if we are open to an exchange of ideas and especially without resorting to the destructiveness of shame or ridicule.

If you have not listened to Andrew Yang's proposals on UBI, please do so. His proposal is well thought out and merits further discussion. The odds of him being totally right are not great, but it is a least a place to start a critical and constructive discussion of "If not this, then what?".

A great way to demotivate people.

In the words of FDR, "We owe it to ourselves."

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:32613
Slug does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.