slug.com slug.com

9 4

Why so civil??

Don't get me wrong, but why are the people on IDW so civil compared to other social sites such as Face Book and MEWE??? here we exchange ideas in a grown up manner with little or no name calling but on the other sites there is always someone that want to cuss and curse just because they don't agree with your idea/statement... is it perhaps the name. they know they are not intelligent so they don't come near here?

Dutch 6 Apr 17

Be part of the movement!

Welcome to the community for those who value free speech, evidence and civil discourse.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Out of all the sites I've experimented with so far, this is truly one of saner and more organized ones.

We are a polite bunch. I’m actually hoping for some spirited debate’s in the near future

As people slowly come fill this place, there will be a broader range of people. There will come a time where insult might become a bit more often. However, the people who came here for the initial purpose of having a civil discussion should understand that those people are a necessary evil.
Sometime you can ask those people "why?" and the "Why?" ,in the end, is really the reason we are here. If this place stagnates and doesn't have flare ups then it might lose many interesting points/arguments.

We just have to hope that amongst the offenders some will be vocal about their reasoning.
What i think is important is that, those who can't bothered to answer shouldn't be shamed/called out on it in a mean way and that would be up to the more "civil" people to do that.

Last thing anyone wants is this place to be full of touchy/angry/egomaniac "intellectuals" to swarm a person just because he does not have as many information or that he doesn't know how to explain it.
Barring people from conversation should not happen.

There are a couple here who are not civil and call you names like that over and over and over again to make the point they're an adult and they can run with scissors if they want to. The defiance is what's funniest. They may grow out of it. It's pretty silly. I'm not sure it points to a lack of intelligence, but probably exposes some immaturity. Unfortunately, it often escalates conflict and essentially ends free and open debate. It's like, if you wouldn't mind growing up, we can have the rest of the conversation. I'll wait around a little bit if you don't mind hurrying. Meh. Whatever.

The people attracted to this site tend to be people who are fans of people like Jordan Peterson, Sam Harris, Ben Shapiro, etc, which means they are far more likely to support civil discourse, just as those guys are.

I've been free of hostile SJW's on this site, but I've still run into more hostile exchanges with alt-right types, who are attracted to any online platform that isn't mainstream.

that would explain it. thanks for your input

You are such a poopy head.

sometimes I am, but I save that for counter attacks on FB and MEWE...LOL

I might be off base but most, if not all intelligent / intellectual people are civil. On the same note, not all educated people are intelligent. I’m neither educated nor intelligent but I joined in hopes that I would learn something.

@Slavey Absolutely NOT!!! I was responding to Dutch on why I thought the people on this site are civil and intelligent. Why are you confusing me?

I'm a member of a few boards. Back in the 90s, I think, MSNBC (I think) had lots of news reports and opinion columns and the "comments" section was a bunch of forums. Race in America, Social Issues, etc., and each story linked you to an appropriate forum for the topic. They shut it down. Too much drama. Well, the refugees all started opening new forums at the various hosting sites and I wound up over the years losing all of those people and was with a few new people at obscure places with few members. Over the years every other place I visit has become just a bitching bicker fest. It was bad with Bush, worse with Obama, and just a bloody $h!t show now, with Trump.

I just want some occasional adult conversation trying to solve the world's problems like we used to do at the local bar before even the local bar got stupid. Adult conversation is usually civil, even when heated.

I came to this site for just the reasons you stated. I've only seen one post that was inappropriate (cussing, personal attacks and threats). I don't engage with idiots (people who "argue" with cussing, personal attacks and threats). I don't want to censor these folks but it is my hope to drown them out with silence. So far so good with this place.

I swear some, @Demere. I actually do think about being respectful to those who find swearing offensive. But, I have to balance that with thinking swearing is pretty danged funny sometimes. I ask that people who find it offensive judge my overall contribution, but I do understand some just can't hang with it. It is an unfortunately casualty. I actually understand the ones who reject me for it and don't have any hard feelings. It's just a difference in beliefs, and I rarely swear at someone. It's tough to toe everyone else's lines, because there's always someone out there sucking all of the fun out of the world, hahaha. I'd put that shoulder shrugging emoji here...

@chuckpo swearing doesn’t bother me at all. It can be funny and very appropriate. Context is key. I object ( as you observed) only to cussing directed towards an individual involved in a discussion. It demeans and degrades the process of problem solving.

@Demere, yeah, absolutely. What you said.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:31431
Slug does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.