slug.com slug.com

3 0

LINK The Confederacy and Liberty | Libertarianism.org

This article really challenged me. As a southern man, living in South Carolina or Georgia my entire life, I find myself often sympathetic to the “Confederate Cause.” Not that I in any way support slavery, but the idea of rebellion against a strong central government. But, as the article says, when faced with two evils, don’t pick the greatest one.

WesleyWells 3 Apr 10

Be part of the movement!

Welcome to the community for those who value free speech, evidence and civil discourse.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Since the confederate constitution is no longer valid, and the U S Constitution is the law of this Republic, I fail to see the person who wrote this article's point. I am a native Texan. My state has a southern history. I love my home state of Texas. I never owned a slave, no one that I know of in my family ever was or owned a slave. I am also 1/4 Cherokee. You want to talk about horrific history, we could start with the Trail of Tears. I wasn't there, but my ancestors were. Do I think I am owed anything, NO! It is in the past. Learn from the past, but leave it in the past.

I find the article interesting, and abhor the concept and reality of slavery. However, I don't live 160 years ago. A family legend had it that my Southern sympathizer great-great-grandfather and his family were run out of St.Louis during the Civil War, or the War of Northern Agression, depending upon your viewpoint. So I did some research. He did have two slaves, house servants, shown on the 1840 Census. In 1850 they had been replaced with two Irish. But the most interesting thing I found was the fact that he was business partners with one of the most adamant abolitionists in St. Louis for almost 40 years. The abolitionist funded Dred Scott's legal case all the way to the Supreme Court. Also, grandfather is listed as a corporate officer throughout the war years. The truth? Who knows? I didn't live then, I don't know the customs, and I won't judge.

When faced with two evils, pick neither. Times like that is where problem solving skills come into play, and the ability to think out other alternatives.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:29494
Slug does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.