slug.com slug.com

5 2

we are having large earthquakes shaking the piss out of us here right now!! Northern Arkansas

Weltansicht 8 Nov 17

Be part of the movement!

Welcome to the community for those who value free speech, evidence and civil discourse.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

If La Palma explodes, half the island slides into the sea and a tsunami destroys every city on the Atlantic coast.

There are lava fields in Hawaii that used to be homes.

When the California Northridge earthquake happened (magnitude 6.7), I was in Pasadena. One big quake and then a month of frequent aftershocks.

Arkansas isn't earthquake prone.

San Francisco is way overdue for a bigly earthquake.

Saint Louis once took a big hit. This was the only recent big earthquake in the interior of the North American plate.

The volcanoes in Washington state could blow up any time.

In the films "Superman" and "View to a Kill", the villain's plot was to trigger the San Andreas fault, slide San Francisco into the sea, and create new beachfront property.

Alaska earthquakes and volcanoes are far larger than those in the continental U.S.

Alaska is capable of producing a tsunami that would erase every city on the Pacific coast.
An asteroid strike in an ocean would do the same. This is the plot of Niven's book "Lucifer's Hammer". It's a feel good story. Civilization collapses and scientists emerge as the new leaders.

jaymaron.com/disaster.html [jaymaron.com]

we watch Suspicious Observers and Quakewatch he expected an uptick on earthquakes

we noticed the unusual one of the beaten path in South Carolina the other day

haven't got the map out yet, but going to draw a general line across and see where it goes, to see if it was a galactic sheet wave from the solar wind and magnetic forcing, off hand, maybe uptick in Cascades or La Palma volcano

We had a similar density earthquake up the far north of Western Australia in Port Hedland just last week. No damage done as it's very thinly inhabited.

Yes! we noticed those from Suspicious Observers, I seem to recall a few off shore and some in land, in line with some over at Indonesia and Philippines...I have no knowledge of volcanoes going off except one Indonesian

Sounds like you're ok, which is good. Wish you the best.
Every earthquake is a good thing, releasing tension that would have just kept building up otherwise.
Cheers.

Thanks. We've had some jolts that cracked concrete, and one memorable tremor was like being in a boat with waves rocking you side to side and another boat goes by and knocks you forward and backward

this one was intense longevity and increased as it continued, made me think of the powerful ones like on the CA seismograph when it was happening lol

More info!!!!!!!
Just checked to news!!! A 4.0 hit you!!!
That is not a big one, speaking from experience!!!
Did you have any damage??????

initially the USGS said it was 3.7 ~ not the strongest we've had but good 20 seconds on intensity, usually we just get jolts not tremors, I think one was from Oklahoma or a smaller fault line here....Blanchard Springs Caverns has a fault line in the middle of the cave system there's also a place called Ender's Fault Mountain at Woolly Hollow State Park

there were 2 back to back, 1st one seem to come from west like 8 o'clock if north is 12 o'clock & 2nd came from northeast like between 1 & 2 o'clock and lasted a bit longer and stronger, the growing intensity made you wonder if it was/when going to stop

the epicenter was at Williamsville north NW of Popular Bluff and 40 to 50 miles NW from New Madrid as the crow flies

no damage found so far, the calendar on the wall was shaking back and forth like a pendulum on a clock....last few days we have been finding things knocked off or be sitting in the room and something falls off a shelf or counter, like a mouse or rat knocked it but impossible from a table which happened to a turnip yesterday and a garden tomatoes a few days before

one of our neighbors felt one long quake not 2, but the pause gap was just seconds apart to us

@Weltansicht The initial "P" waves are direct-impact, they come straight at you. The ones that do the damage are the slower shear (side-to-side) waves... the difference in speed is usually about 1-second per mile, so you can kind of tell how far away it was. In Alaska, I would hear the hangers pinging together in my closet and start counting until the shear wave hit.
I've never been in a big one though. I did take a ride in my lazy-boy once for about 10 seconds in a 4.7 in California. Cracked our patio and fence but no other damage.

@rway Best one I was in was way back in high school, seating at my desk, watching the ceiling separate from the top of the wall, so I could see outside, very interesting!!!!!!

@rway Yeah...I kind of responded on that, my boat ride analogy comment above to your comment above, I too was in my chair feet up when that one happened.

Where I live on mountain top and got valleys around me, years ago you could hear rumblings coming up from ground, sometimes directional, some sounded deep some sounded shallow some like thunderstorm approaching, sometimes sounded like a bowling alley sort of or the Rip Van Winkle sound effects might be what I am trying to say

had one when I was on the porch taking a hot afternoon break, and things started rattling on the plant shelves and railings, and then I got thrown forward like lost balance but I was sitting down, then the old windmill creaked that is broken doesn't spin, so that directional wave was heading west

Thank you very much for your input and insight! And the tech lesson will be remembered too!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:287808
Slug does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.