slug.com slug.com

3 4

Happy Veterans Day to all who have served in the United States Armed Forces. Chime is and tell us about your service. 🙂

#USA
KeithThroop 9 Nov 11

Be part of the movement!

Welcome to the community for those who value free speech, evidence and civil discourse.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

My dad was a lifer in the USAF. He was stationed at Ubon Royal Thai AirBase 1967-68, when McNamara, I believe, said we had no troops in SE Asia at the time....I asked him what his hottest LZ was, me figuring a jungle runway in Laos or Cambodia; he said Morocco 1950s....and I am like what?....but he never said anymore about it, never ever really talked about any of it....his bunk mate and good friend got whacked by a sniper targeting the base in Thailand.....he was set to retire in 1973 and the Yom Kippur War happened, they were loading up the troops on C5s & C130s for the Middle East and doing circles around Chanute AFB waiting for the go-ahead because Israel shot down 4 MIGs piloted by Russians in Egypt, I think it was. He figured he was going to kick the bucket, just his luck, set to retire and got orders to go.....

He also was stationed in Baffin Island at a NORAD installation 1960-61. There was a picture of him feeding an Arctic Fox by hand, it was in a military magazine news article.

ATC and NCMO, U.S. Air Force, 1977-1981

Thank you for your service.

@KeithThroop TY too!

Gunner's Mate, U.S. Navy, 1985-1989.

I was aboard FFG 007 Oliver Hazard Perry in the late 1980s when docked at Windsor, Ontario and it was open for public tours during the Canada Day & 4th of July celebrations...I kept calling the Captain ~ Commodore Sir and Your Admiralty 🤣 He finally said if I did not shut my pie hole he was going make me walk the plank....oh we had a good laugh & time.....

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:285745
Slug does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.