slug.com slug.com

2 0

LINK Oy Vey Maria! Why the “gods” of Ben Shapiro and Matt Walsh can’t end abortion. – GospelSpam.com

"Imagine if someone were to attack Matt and his family, and Matt pointed a gun at the attacker. Now imagine that the attacker shouted: “I don’t believe in your gun!” Does anyone think that Matt would worry about the “extra step” of getting the attacker to believe that his gun was real? Would Matt throw down his weapon based on the objection of his attacker? Of course not! Yet that is exactly what Mr. Walsh says he would do when arguing with a person who didn’t believe the Bible; He would discard his authority!"

VonO 7 Apr 5

Be part of the movement!

Welcome to the community for those who value free speech, evidence and civil discourse.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

First, their focus is on politics and not religion.

Second, you don't go to Spain and deliver the gospel speaking German. When Paul was in Athens he was able to relate by talking about the unknown god.

Third, when Matt was lamenting the changes in the way we approach church, by moderating the message, I could relate. Some yeast and salt is effective.

Hold on, I see where this author is coming from on some of the later points but I don't understand the issue on the main point... Is it not correct that using the Bible to argue against abortion does not work on someone who does not believe in the Bible's authority? That person very likely believes in logic and reasoning, because they are a part of a Judeo-Christian society, but they don't believe in God. So logic and reasoning are going to be more effective on them than arguing about God.

The gun scenario is strange to use here and it kinda helps make Matt's point in a strange way. Convincing them that the gun is real and that attacking his family is wrong is definitely a way to try and get them to stop attacking, but it takes all of this extra work and time. If convincing the assailant that the gun is real will not work in time to save his family, then he will shoot away. They likely can't ignore their physical body and pain signals, so shooting them should work... And this is ignoring the fact that the gun is in material reality and the Bible is referring to metaphysics, which make the two incomparable.

Now I'm not a trained philosopher, so I may have some things that "technically" don't fit with the "Argument from Authority", but I still think it's common sense to say that an athiest won't listen to arguments from God.

"but I still think it's common sense to say that an athiest won't listen to arguments from God."

If they won't listen to God, why does one think they will listen to anybody's arguments?

@dmatic I see that my wording is wrong. I didn't mean God is actually speaking to them in a voice and arguing the point to them Himself... I should have said something similar to "an atheist won't listen to arguments from people who are appealing to God"

@BossPig That's kinda my point...an atheist won't listen to arguments. They already think they "know".

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:27756
Slug does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.