slug.com slug.com

2 5

Social Security recipients to get cost-of-living raise of 5.9%, biggest since 1982

"There are a growing amount of estimates I'm seeing that inflation is going to continue into next year," said Mary Johnson, Social Security and Medicare policy analyst at the Senior Citizens League, an advocacy group. "I would not foresee that an almost 6% COLA is going to restore buying power if inflation continues into 2022."

The problem, according to [Senior Citizen League’s] analysis, is that the Social Security Administration relies on an index called the Consumer Price Index for Urban Wage Earners and Clerical Workers to set the annual increase for retirement benefits. That index doesn't include cost increases in Medicare premiums and it underweights the housing costs …

[cbsnews.com]

Garsco 8 Oct 13

Be part of the movement!

Welcome to the community for those who value free speech, evidence and civil discourse.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Let me see, inflation is rampant at more than 18% and the COLA is less than 1/3 of that. Sounds exactly like the kind of largess a leftist would brag about.

You can check this if you like, all of the goods and services contained in the CPI are subsidized by government, anything outside of it is up to the market forces.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:276783
Slug does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.