slug.com slug.com

3 4

Will it ever be possible for any person to become like this?
Don't you feel happy about yourselves when you are doing well? And you cannot know that you're doing well without comparing yourself with others.

Naomi 8 Sep 14

Be part of the movement!

Welcome to the community for those who value free speech, evidence and civil discourse.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

This sounds like being a stoic.

Home sweet home.

You can know you are doing well by accomplishing the goals you set for yourself. I don't need to compare myself to another golfer to be happy I played my best game.

But surely, you set a goal with reference to something, and could that something be someone else's goal? Achieving something requires a threshold, a reference value, standard, target etc., and isn't everything we do within human interaction relative?

@Naomi actually, golf is a process and there are days when my best game is better than the worst game of the best professional golfer. However, the standards of "par" on a course are not set by the abilities of another person, but upon the complexities of the game/course. My best is better than my second best on the course - it is not related to PAR, or to what another scores on the course. It's me, against me.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:267221
Slug does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.