slug.com slug.com

7 5

Media and Democrats remain silent as Biden Administration turns away asylum seekers from Cuba-
[redstate.com]democrats-remain-silent-as-biden-administration-turns-away-asylum-seekers-from-cuba-n410542

SpikeTalon 10 July 14

Be part of the movement!

Welcome to the community for those who value free speech, evidence and civil discourse.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

As usual these opinions are born out of ignorance. The US has always treated immigrants from Cuba differently, something called the wet feet/dry feet agreement. It's an international agreement between the U.S and Cuba. The current agreement requires all Cubans illegally entering the U.S. to be returned to Cuba. And Cuba has to take them back. On January 12, 2017, President Barack Obama announced the immediate cessation of the wet feet, dry feet policy. Since then, Cuban nationals who enter the United States illegally, regardless of whether they are intercepted on land or at sea, have been subject to removal. At the same time the Cuban government agreed to accept the return of Cuban nationals. The agreement is still in place and the current administration does not want the headache of trying to deal with the mess if large numbers of unvaccinated Cubans tried to enter the U.S, particularly in Florida where Covid cases are the highest since last Dec. Under the agreement, they would have to be sent back. By definition, a Cuban entering the U.S. illegally cannot be deemed an asylum seeker. That could change if things further deteriorated in Cuba, but right now the administration is wise to wait it out. There has not been a large exodus of Cubans to the U.S, yet. Things are starting to calm down because the government of Cuba has squashed the protests. Biden is trying not to break international agreements so as reestablish the USA credibility in the world that was trashed by Trump. He may have to if things get worse. But, right now, his administration seems to be taking the correct course of action.

[en.wikipedia.org]

Funny... the Democrats didn't care about loads of potentially unvaccinated immigrants coming into the country while Trump was still President, and cried foul when Trump wanted to keep the borders secure. For what it's worth, I actually agree with the Biden Admin on the decision to reject Cuban refugees, but that wasn't the point of this post. The point was to demonstrate the Democrat's hypocrisy when it comes to the open borders debate. Apparently Trump was correct in his view that America's borders should be protected especially during the pandemic. As for the mass exodus from Cuba, that remains to be seen. So yes, while I can agree the Biden Admin is doing the right thing for now, Trump did the right thing too as well, but don't wait for the Democrats to give him any credit though.

@SpikeTalon The Dems did not object to the execution of border security. That's simply a false statement. What they objected to was the inhumane treatment of immigrants - the separation of children from their parents and the intimidation of immigrants many of whom were coming here for the same reason that the Cubans might come here. If anything the GOP are the hypocrites here, since they support dissident Cubans coming here, but fail to support other people who want to come here for the same reason.

@TyKC The Dems cried foul when Trump suggested closing the border shortly after the pandemic hit, and the Democrats are the ones always saying we should welcome refugees into the country. Dissident Cubans? Uh no... they have good reason for rebelling against an oppressive regime. If honesty is the goal here, I'd say both major political parties are hypocrites, and I've no qualms in criticizing both of them. The hypocrisy of the left is split thick on that issue though.

@SpikeTalon Closing the entire border was an unrealistic pipe dream. The U.S. government has not the personnel or funding to close the entire 1,954-mile border, experts have said. The president, as he often does, excluded any specific plans for how he would seal the border for the remainder of time, a personnel- and resource-intensive task. In fact, closing the entire border would have been contrary to current immigration law. Trump wasn't going to close the border. He was just blowing smoke per usual. Of course the Dems criticized him and they should have. It was never going to happen. It was simply an incompetent president being incompetent. Nothing more. The Cubans do have a good reason to want to come here, but so do other people from other countries. Cuba is not the only oppressive regime.

@TyKC We've had nothing but incompetent Presidents since after the Kennedy years, so what else is new. Still doesn't remove the fact a majority of Democrats claim to be in full support of open borders, and apparently that's a lie. The last part of your reply makes no sense, again, thought the Democrats cared about all refugees regardless of what the laws are? Obviously no more than the Republicans are. Although you did get the Cuba is not the only oppressive regime part right, China is probably worse than them even.

@SpikeTalon Your opinion that presidents since Kennedy are all incompetent is not only wrong, but irrelevant. And your opinion that all democrats' support open borders is also wrong and relevant. “Comprehensive immigration reform,” the Democrats’ strategy for many years, offered Republicans tougher enforcement in exchange for legalization (Dreamers). Republicans spurned deals twice (in 2007 and 2013), yet enforcement budgets soared — propelled by the “comprehensive” logic, which legitimized getting tough. Since 2003, the number of agents involved in internal removals has nearly tripled.

A Democratic president brought more disappointment. Breaking his promise to prioritize legalization, President Barack Obama instead set records for deportations — three million over eight years. Activists occupied offices of his re-election campaign and labeled him the “deporter in chief” — a rebuke that helps explain the candidates’ fear of activists’ wrath then. (More recent protests targeted the House speaker, Nancy Pelosi, and the Senate minority leader, Chuck Schumer.)

Mr. Obama eventually used executive action to protect the so-called Dreamers — unauthorized migrants who arrived as children — and tried to restrain deportations by focusing on criminals. But he failed to win a broad legalization and left his anti-immigrant successor a formidable deportation machine.

If a leftist vanguard has radicalized, that’s partly because Mr. Trump’s violation of norms has been so radical. He muscled through two travel bans, mostly aimed at Muslim-majority countries. He cut refugee admissions to record lows. He rescinded the Dreamer protections. He dropped targeted deportations for a broader approach that officials boast is meant to spread fear.

In the biggest breach of norms, Mr. Trump separated nearly 3,000 children, including toddlers, from families illegally crossing the border, sending some to foster care in distant states (without telling their frantic parents where they were). Adding racialized insult to injury, he has called immigrants “rapists,” likened them to snakes, complained that they come from “shithole” countries and warned that African visa holders would never “go back to their huts.”

And this is the immigration policy you support?

The reason been that Cuban's tend to vote GOP.

This seems hypocritical, disingenuous, and predictable.

You forgot Haiti.

Trump would have done it too.

One could have expected such from Trump, but I thought the Democrats were for totally open borders though???

@SpikeTalon You must have been reading some right wing propaganda!

@WilyRickWiles No, looks like I was wrong, the Democrats aren't truly for open borders any more than the Republicans are.

@SpikeTalon
Yeah … Democrats are only for Open Borders for potential Leftists (aka Illegal Democrat Voters are welcome)

@Bay0Wulf Both parties welcome enough migrants to provide cheap labor and then punish them to keep them precarious.

@WilyRickWiles
I’d like to disagree with you but … I can’t.
Especially in Terms of ILLEGAL Immigrants.
That’s why Trump really was not and is not of any Establishment “Party”.

However, the Topic here is Actual Refugees.
Please attempt to follow along …

@Bay0Wulf The topic was shifted to whether one party was generally "open borders."

@Bay0Wulf And whether a migrant is a refugee is often a matter of perspective. Capitalism is a force of displacement.

@Bay0Wulf Trump was just playing the "punish" role. Nothing new. Typical Republican.

@WilyRickWiles
Geez … WRW … Do you eat something in the mornings to make you as stupid as you make yourself out to be?
Or were you really just born that way?
The best thing I usually find with any of your commentary is that it provides some level of comic relief.

Typical @Bay0Wulf, resorting to namecalling when he can't refute an argument.

@WilyRickWiles
Uh … namecalling? Where’s the namecalling?
I was just plain old fashioned mocking …

@Bay0Wulf

@WilyRickWiles
Wow!!! You’ve even got a Lefty Liberal’s Library of Made up and Misused Terminology

@Bay0Wulf Words are a leftist conspiracy.

@WilyRickWiles
Go ‘way I’m out of play time.
Sorry but that’s the way it is …
Maybe tomorrow or something

@Bay0Wulf It's a free country.

Much as I kind of hate to make such a suggestion …

They should head for the southeast coast of Texas or just a hair south of the Border.
If they can evade the Cartels, they should be able to simply pop over the Border, claim refugee status, claim to be … well, pick any Left Leaning Hispanic country.

Of course, its not actually strange the O’Biden Administration would specifically ignore the one place there are Actual Political Refugees since they lean Conservative while they deliberately allow every other damn person regardless of reason.

All I can think is that … something I ran across recently … due to the High Dollar Value extracted from “refugees” coming up through Mexico … perhaps the O’Biden Klan and the DemLeft in General are receiving a kickback percentage.

The report I saw indicated $6000 per person coming in as a typical average (6000 x 100,000 p/mo = $600 Million p/mo) seems like A LOT of “Cheddar” to spread around even at a small percentage. Actually the Head Fee and the Heads per Month might be Low but …

ANY Way You “Slice” that “Cheddar” the Ferryman (and friends) is making one Hell of A Lot of “Cheese”.

If only Florida was not the nearest coast.

@Mechanic
Yes but having done a lot of sailing in the Gulf, sailing towards Mexico/Texas is the easier route both in terms of weather and currents … if you do it properly.

@Bay0Wulf I will take your word for it, but is it still true if your sailing in a truck with water heater tanks strapped to the sides?

@Mechanic
Ummm … Heck, thats even an improbable “raft” and I’d advise simply staying out of tge water to begin with.
Why? Did you see a picture of such a cock up?

@Bay0Wulf correction though, it’s oil drums added to make it float.

@Bay0Wulf

@Mechanic
Yeah … O-Kay
I honestly can’t make a comment about this that wouldn’t sound … at least a little … racist

I thought Democrats hate keeping kids in cages. And Cuba is one big cage.

Free-range cage. The gulags in Siberia didn't have fences either

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:246183
Slug does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.