slug.com slug.com

2 1

Glad to be here and hello! I am looking forward to some good debates. I have a question though... having looked through groups' list, some seem not to fit in here so well... I don't want to be critical straight off the bat, but is anyone just free to create any group they like without anyone moderating it? Example -- group "feminism = cancer" (I don't necessarily disagree entirely as I'm not a fan of contemporary feminists, but the intro to this group is not very nice to women, to say the least). I was hoping to invite friends to this site but I think if they take a quick glance at some of the participants, they might run!

BHB_UK 5 Mar 20

Be part of the movement!

Welcome to the community for those who value free speech, evidence and civil discourse.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

There are some strong opinions and sometimes they are not worded in a way that makes all feel welcome. But if you play into being offended you only put yourself out there to prove the point you are offended by.

Offence is just how you feel about the way someone else feels, it's not really substantial and you won't find respect here by getting but hurt over it. Instead try to be part of the conversations you can, this space is about bringing different perspectives together so add what value you can and maybe you'll be able to help shape the development.

You will be best off picking your battles, and you can create your own groups if you feel there is a category missing that you would like to represent. Stay away from posts that get your hackles up if you can't converse in a logical way, use your insights to help the community grow instead of tearing down the parts you don't like.

If your friends are going to run from a challenge then this is probably the wrong place for them.

Thanks for this. I will do my best. It just didn't seem to all fit with the general spirit of IDW as I know it, that's all.

I'm not clear on the purpose of your post. Is it simply to point out that some people or ideas may be offensive?

If that is your point then yes, some people or ideas can be offensive.

Or is your point that because some may be offensive you're hesitant to invite friends?

If that is the case then I wonder if you understand the stated purpose of this endeavor.

No, not at all. I am not the offended kind. I just expected more sophistication from some of these groups, I suppose. I regularly listen to most of the members and they are all fairly measured in their vitriol and reason well, so seeing some of the groups seemed incongruous to the tone I'm used to.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:23649
Slug does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.