slug.com slug.com

1 2

LINK Music written to capture the ideas.

So this is certainly somewhat of a cheeky plug, but it's also something I'm sharing because I sincerely believe it belongs here.

I'm a musician who has been following the IDW for some time now, and I spend a great deal of time reflecting on the topics discussed by the various members. I'm also a creative type.

So part of my process in understanding all of this stuff is to put my feelings into sounds. It's a release and a space to explore. A few friends and I started a band a couple of years back and the culmination of that effort so far has been this EP that we recorded. This track that I have linked is from that EP, and is titled 'Managing Complexity' because the song is loosely about humans having accidentally built a world which we may have made too complex to handle in any long term way.

I think it was the episode Cells to Cities on the Sam Harris podcast which I first started to write this track. Noodling around on my guitar and listening intently.

They floated this idea that maybe it is the case that thing are ultimately out of our capacity to deal with because we are a product of nature that has never had this scale of problems to deal with. The amount of relevant information, the interconnectedness of issues, and the pervese incentives that undermine any meaningful hope of course correction.

To me, it seemed like a compelling and truely horrifying sentiment.

What makes it "Jordan Petersonly" grim (you might get this if you are a fan) is that the song was originally in drop D, so the sound of the song was light and actually a little optimistic. When we got into the studio, however, our producer advised us to to put the songs 5 semi-tones lower to drop A.

The result of this adjustment turns a sad but slightly optimistic song into a hopeless and lonely ode to our unfortunate predicament.

It's by no means a perfect song, and I know it could have been much better if I had the gift of hindsight before recording it, but I still think it might resonate with a few of you out there who contemplate the state of the world and feel the gravity of our situation in the cosmos.

If you dig this, the rest of the EP might interest you. It's a heavy record and this is the only song that isn't too heavy. Clean vocals only throughout, so it's not too abrasive to listen to.

Let me know if this connects at all or any thoughts.

Riffdiculous 5 Mar 19

Be part of the movement!

Welcome to the community for those who value free speech, evidence and civil discourse.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I like it. The beginning reminded me of Alan Parsons a bit. Bravo!

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:23405
Slug does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.