slug.com slug.com

8 12

I'm still waiting to hear a rational (keyword there is rational) explanation from the leftwing progressive crowd as to how Northam is still the Governor of Virginia after his blackface scandal...

Ralph Northam's KKK scandal was far worse than Caleb Kennedy's video, yet he's still Virginia's Governor-
[thefederalist.com]

SpikeTalon 10 May 13

Be part of the movement!

Welcome to the community for those who value free speech, evidence and civil discourse.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Just goes to show that "racism" is a simply a tool used by democrats to pretend moral superiority. They care nothing of racism itself. Just as BLM cares little of Black lives ignoring the Black on Black murder rate in their communities, like Chicago, Baltimore, etc., and pretending the problem is police systemic racism to once again feign moral superiority. The attempt is to cancel culture, with identity politics and install the Marxist Utopia of equity they envision whether anyone likes it or not.

Are you really expecting rational or honest anything from the leftists?

Not really.

Hypocrisy 101.

Did he really admit that he was the tool in blackface? I'd have thought that as a Demo, he was the guy in the KKK hood.
Don't forget, Demos created/staffed the KKK, wrote all the JimCrow laws, owned all (anyone has yet to name five Repubs who owned slaves) the slaves, and do their best to keep blacks subservient to the DNC. It appears to be genetic, or in order to call yourself a Demo you have to demonstrate some ACTUAL racial hatred. The latter should be quite easy, BTW, just work for Harvard. 🙂

As a Democrat everyone knows that they have immunity for any negative actions that they commit, since they have no integrity and stand for nothing they can not be guilty of thought crimes. No thoughts means no thought crimes. As you can see by even questioning their actions is clear proof that you are too racist to look at the situation objectively. In order to make amends for your oppressive thoughts you must sell your children into slavery and destroy the family unit that provides systematic privilege to those people that are born into families with birthing people.

I guess it's because feeble apologies bring forgiveness if you're a Democrat?

Caleb Kennedy chose to leave. Ralph Northam chose to stay. It takes courage to face adversity. Caleb is 16 years old. He can be forgiven if he's not quite up to it or simply didn't want to deal with it. It doesn't get more rational than that.

I think it took more courage for Caleb to walk away from his dream. Northam knew blacks would favor him rather than turn things over to Republicans. Staying was a safe bet. Plus, he had more media protection than a Republican would have. For him, staying was a chance to save face. Is there a politician out there who would do otherwise under similar circumstances?

@coalburned You are completely wrong about that. The chairwoman of the Congressional Black Caucus declared that Northam “still does not understand the seriousness of his actions.” She called for his resignation. Both of Virginia’s U.S. senators, Mark Warner and Tim Kaine, both Democrats, joined the dean of Virginia’s congressional delegation, Rep. Bobby Scott, in saying they no longer believe Northam can serve effectively. Most other prominent Democrats' in Congress also called for his resignation. You can read about it here:

[apnews.com]

The GOP was in conspicuous silence.

@TyKC The article you cite shows that Northam indeed received serious in-party criticism, including from notables such as K Harris and C Booker, but that doesn't explain why the man is still in office. I wish I could find the article that supports my earlier statement, but it would be virtually impossible for me to dig up given the amount of time that has lapsed. I don't think Northam was courageous at all. He had/has plenty of resources to do damage control, and I still believe the reason he's in office is because of simple political pragmatism...black voters would rather turn a blind eye to his shenanigans than risk a Republican sitting in the gov mansion if he stepped down.

@coalburned A Republican would not have inherited the governorship if Northam had resigned. It would have turned over to Lt. Gov. Justin Fairfax, who is black and a democrat. If anything, you would think that black people would have supported Fairfax. No, there was lots of pressure on Northam to resign. In fact, Democrats hold their members to a higher standard than the GOP does. Examples are not hard to find. Al Franken 🍸 was forced to resign over a staged comedy picture that happened years ago when he was a comedian. Matt Gaetz 🌈 is under no pressure from his colleagues to resign even though he is under investigation by the DOJ for sex trafficking and prostitution, an investigation that began went Trump was president. I actually think the GOP is more "correct" on this issue than the Dems are. They tend to support "innocent until proven guilty." The Dems clearly overreach in their quest to take the moral high ground. Northam just stood his ground. He refused to be run out of office for a mistake he made years ago. I admire him for that.

[vox.com]

@TyKC Remember though, both of Northam's successors were embroiled in scrambles of their own. Regardless, your point about calling it quits over something that happened decades ago is a good one. Both sides need to quit seizing opportunities to use their opponents minor wrongdoings for political leverage. It's gotten ridiculous. If it's something egregious enough to warrant remove from office, let the proper processes work it out.

@TyKC Who deciding to leave or not was not the point, the point was who had faced more outrage from the politically correct mob, and Kennedy faced far more adversity from the outrage mob than Northam did, which is why the latter is still has his job as Governor of Virginia. Not only does it take courage to face adversity, it also takes courage to do the proper thing once you had been caught in a scandal, which Northam did not do, and conveniently (and predictably enough) you decided to look past that little detail and deflect blame. Also, between Kennedy's fiasco and Northam's, the former's was far less vile in nature as it appeared to be an innocent mistake if anything. The same thing sure could not be said of Northam's scandal, deliberately dressing as either a KKK member or in blackface is hardly an innocent gesture.

@coalburned Isn't it appalling how those on the left refuse to criticize one of their own when they are clearly wrong, yet point the finger at conservatives for supposedly doing the same thing? Worse yet, the left deflects blame and makes up excuses, but again would point the finger at the other side for doing so. So again I ask, even after his scandal how is Northam still the Governor, especially since I am to believe it is wrong for a politician to dress up as Northam did as such is considered racially insensitive?

@coalburned Exactly. It is besides the point that there was outrage from some Democrat politicians who had called for Northam to resign, the point is he still managed to keep his job as Governor, and that's what's wrong about all of that. Who cares if some were calling for Northam to resign, actions speak louder than words, and words aren't enough. With that said, I can agree that both sides should learn to be more forgiving in circumstances like that, but unfortunately these days the left in most cases does not seem to be as forgiving on matters like that than the right is, which is what I take issue with. Personally, I don't think Northam is a terrible person for what he did in the past, and in a way are glad he fought back against the outrage mob. I take issue with the blatant double standards, you know as well as I know that if Northam was Republican the Democrats would have not given up until they could have done everything in their power to remove him from the Governor's office. This post was about pointing out double standards, and not about who had the courage to leave or stick it out.

@SpikeTalon I seriously doubt that you can make the claim that Kennedy faced far more adversity from the outraged PC mob than Northam did. At least I offered sources for the claim that Northam received considerable backlash from members of his own party. Since you offered none, I will chalk that up to a freelancing and overactive imagination. I assume you believe that most conservatives believed that Northam should have resigned and felt that democrats did not do enough to force him out. If that were the case conservatives in Virginia could have initiated a recall. Even if it didn't succeed, they could have claimed the moral high ground. To my knowledge they did not. I assume you think that Northam should have resigned. I actually think most conservatives would disagree, since that would make them part of the PC crowd, something they in general despise. I deflected no blame. I respect the decisions of both Kennedy and Northam. I'm sure both situations are unique in their own right and to pass judgement on either is not my place. I don't think Northam's act was all that vile. Given the time it happened, society would have been far more accepting of such an act than they would be today. The fact that the school even allowed the picture to be put in the yearbook proves my point. That wouldn't happen today. Comparing the attitude then to the attitude now is a false equivalence. That's probably why Northam stood his ground. Things that were acceptable then are just not acceptable now. It's poor commentary on the state of things in the US, but that's where we are. If indeed Kennedy's act was an innocent mistake, he should have stood his ground. He's young and he chose not to so I don't know how he felt about what he did or didn't do, but I won't pass judgement on him, since I don't know all that he knows. It's hard to lay blame here because both Northam and Kennedy made their choices and they were THEIR choices to make. Anything beyond that is mere speculation.

True, there are overreactions by the PC crowd as you call them, but more concerning is that character has to count for something at some point. Conservatives continued to support Trump even after the Access Hollywood tapes, knowledge that he had made illegal payments to a prostitute and lied about it and that his school had been found to have committed fraud. Matt Gaetz is under no pressure from his colleagues to resign even though he is under investigation by the DOJ for sex trafficking and prostitution and has close ties with an individual who will plead guilty to several heinous crimes and that individual has received little or no condemnation in the conservative media. The conservative media seems more concerned with a president who stutters than they are about character. Rick Scott led the company that committed the largest fraud of Medicare the nation has ever seen, yet he was elected to serve as a Senator. Liz Cheney was dumped from her leadership position because she has too much integrity. These things go well beyond political correctness. It is certainly legitimate to ask at what point do conservatives think that character counts for anything?

@TyKC There has been plenty of pushback against Kennedy- [the-sun.com], so that's hardly just my imagination, and it's worth noting that for all the backlash Northam had supposedly received he is still the Governor of Virginia. Is Kennedy still going to be on American Idol? Didn't think so. I don't care about what VA Republicans did or didn't do, the left would have me believe that the right are racists, so the Republicans not doing anything should come as no surprise then. I care about what the Democrats didn't do there, since they like to claim the moral high ground.

No, I don't think Northam should have resigned and glad he didn't, his mistake was an innocent one and he shouldn't lose his job over that. You're assuming again, my complaint here is not that Northam should lose his job, but rather the blatant hypocrisy from the Democrats. You are deflecting and assuming things. I care not about what either Kennedy or Northam supposedly did, I take issue with the societal double standards.

This post wasn't talking about the characters of conservative politicians, and for that matter I could point out the character flaws in my Democrat politicians as well. Yes, Trump used to lie, and Biden lies too. I consider it projecting when the original topic for a post has been strayed from. Bottom line is... if society says certain acts are truly immoral and that people should lose their jobs over such, then those standards should apply evenly across the board, no exceptions. I don't think Northam should lose his job over trivial past mistakes, but there are many others out there who would disagree with me on that, and the irony is that even though many who would have disagreed also would not have done much of anything to have Northam punished either, which again my concern there is blatant double standards among the SJW crowd.

@SpikeTalon Yes, but you can't point to the sins of Dems without pointing to the sins of the GOP. At least that was your argument in your other post, which claimed a requirement to be balanced. Your are committing the same sins you are accusing the other side of doing. Or does that requirement only apply to the Israeli/Palestinian conflict and to no other issues? And quite frankly, I see no double standard here. Kennedy received what appears to be somewhat mild criticisms on social media from people you assume are democrats at least if the Sun reporting is accurate. This is pretty standard stuff for social media these days. This hardly appears to be the tsunami of criticism you claim it to be. Besides, Kennedy chose to quit. He has to take some responsibility for that. This can't be all the fault of the democrats and their supposedly unbalanced double standard. Besides some of your arguments don't make sense. I don't understand why you think it's relevant that Northam is still governor. He's governor because he chose to stay governor. Why do you think there is something nefarious about that? You yourself said he shouldn't quit. And why would republicans be considered racist if they spoke out against racism? That doesn't make sense. So evidently you think that the democrats should not have called for Northam to resign and that they were hypocrites in doing so. It seems to me that the democrats, if that's what they were, called for both Northam and Kennedy so resign at least some of them did. I don't see the hypocrisy here. What am I missing?

@TyKC Who said I hold the GOP guiltless? They are just as bad as the Democrats, but all the same this post had an original topic, that of which this time did not involve Republicans. I still considering that projecting on your part, as you want to shift the attention away from where it should be. There are double standards when it comes to situations such as that, and those whose politics lean more to the left and the general public is aware of such, if they get caught up in scandal they often times get off lighter than their more conservative peers. Take for instance Donald Trump and Joe Biden... both men are creepy and have said some controversial things, but the mainstream medias have focused far more on Trump's shortcomings than Biden.

That's your perception, I think some of your arguments don't make any sense either, so exactly is right and wrong there, not that any of that matters to me. Look... our society would have me believe that a white person either dressing in blackface or a KKK outfit is offensive and possibly racist, and with that in mind I wonder how a politician could still have his job after such an ordeal, assuming that is that doing such truly is racist and offensive? If that would have been Trump in Northam's place, the left would have stopped at nothing until Trump lost his job, and double standards like that are what I have a problem with. It is one way or the other and not both, either blackface is racist and any white person caught in blackface is a racist, or it is not a big deal to begin with. If we forgive Northam for his past mistake, then so be it, but we must apply that same attitude across the board and learn to forgive conservatives too if any of them get caught up in a blackface scandal. Why is that so hard to understand, what my concern is here? Mostly everyone else who responded to this post understood my concern, and they realized it is a valid concern assuming we as a society are truly striving to be fair to all. I don't think Northam should quit as what he was accused of is not a big deal in my opinion, but there are many others out there who would disagree and say that what he did was inexcusable no matter how long ago said incident occured. I tried to explain my stance to you as clearly as possible, and mostly everyone else understood my concern, if you still wonder then there is nothing more I could explain to you. Usually when one thinks another makes arguments that aren't making any sense, they simply ignore that individual, which is why I don't bother commenting on any of your posts as most of them make no sense from my point of view.

@SpikeTalon You said "Who said I hold the GOP guiltless?"

Sorry, but if you criticized Republicans in the past, I've miss it.

You said "There are double standards when it comes to situations such as that, and those whose politics lean more to the left and the general public is aware of such, if they get caught up in scandal they often times get off lighter than their more conservative peers."

You say this but don't cite any examples of such. You make an apples to oranges reference to the Press, but this comparison is hardly relevant to scandals and what the consequences are. Biden doesn't tweet very 5 seconds. When he speaks, it's generally about policies, what he's for and what he supports. You can quibble what that, but most of what he proposes is popular with the American people. So, the right-wing media, which has been unmercifully critical, hasn't been able to make anything stick. 90% of Trump's tweets were personal smears of someone or complaints about being treated unfairly. He rarely spoke of policy. He was obsessed with drawing attention to himself. The two men are completely different in their approach to governing. Some off hand remark about who gets more criticism is simply incoherent.

You says "Look... our society would have me believe that a white person either dressing in blackface or a KKK outfit is offensive and possibly racist, and with that in mind I wonder how a politician could still have his job after such an ordeal, assuming that is that doing such truly is racist and offensive? If that would have been Trump in Northam's place, the left would have stopped at nothing until Trump lost his job, and double standards like that are what I have a problem with."

You speak as though there are some timeless symbols of racism. But I don't think that's true. It used to be acceptable to call a black person a "negro" and in the South to use a more derogatory term, but that is no longer acceptable. It used to be acceptable to have separate facilities for blacks and whites, but that's longer acceptable. Attitudes change and what's acceptable behavior changes. People change there attitudes about what's acceptable and what isn't and realize that what they did in the past was poor judgement and they learn from that. I also don't understand what you think the "left" should have done to get Northam to step down that they didn't do. What would they have done against Trump that they wouldn't do to Northam?

You say, "If we forgive Northam for his past mistake, then so be it, but we must apply that same attitude across the board and learn to forgive conservatives too if any of them get caught up in a blackface scandal."

I don't think the "dems" forgave Northam. I think they just didn't have the power to remove him. It was clear that Northam had changed his attitude about racial insensitivity over the years. He felt that he deserved a second chance and I think he's right.

You say, "Why is that so hard to understand, what my concern is here?"

It's not hard to understand your concern about double standards. I just don't think you've shown that one exists in the post you provided. This does not seem like there is a double standard here.

@TyKC I have criticized the Republicans plenty in the past on this site.

Double standards? I suppose Maxine Waters urging her followers to get confrontational with the perceived adversary isn't inciting violence, while Trump was nearly crucified for doing similar, I'd say that constitutes a double standard. That topic would warrant a post unto itself, as there are multiple instances of such to mention them all on this thread. Who cares about those who spend all their free time on Twitter? I used to ignore Trump when he played Twitter games, and everyone else should have done the same, I see no sense in giving someone like that more undeserved attention. These days Biden doesn't know if he's coming or going, so who cares if he tweets daily or not. For that matter, alot of Trump's policies were very popular with the citizens as well, but you do realize such is merely an opinion, and you sure didn't give any examples of Biden's policies that the majority supposedly support. Rightwing media has been unmercifully critical? Oh boo hoo, the previous four years leftwing media had been overly critical of the previous Administration, and were crying foul even before Trump tookover the White House. The medias lie through their teeth by the way, I don't trust either left or right wing news sources, as long as there is an agenda to fight for there will be exaggerated claims made, and most news stories these days (that somehow pass for news) are mere opinions on matters and not strictly the news, and opinion hit pieces at that. I don't care for either Trump or Biden, both of them are liars, and if you believe one or the other of them then good for you.

Such was never truly acceptable and only appeared that way as no one stood up to such prejudice. Personally, we should all be more forgiving of one another, but when I observe a conservative make a mistake like Northam did and face the outrage mob calling for his resignation, while a progressive Democrat does a similar thing and faces no serious pushback, I will take issue with that as nothing about that is fair and balanced. Had that been Trump instead of Northam, the left would not have given up until Trump lost his job.

The Democrats didn't have the power to remove Northam from office? That's a rather chilling thought, no politician should ever be allowed to get that much power. Of course, if they really wanted to and with the backing of a majority of Virginians they could have seen to it that Northam was no longer allowed to be the Governor. They did not though, and their silence on the matter since that time equates to compliance, if you truly disagree on something like that then stick to your guns and don't give up. It can't possibly mean that much to you if you only show some temporary outrage and then carry on like nothing ever happened. Again, I agree that Northam does deserve a second chance, it's a shame more of those on the right are not shown more such mercy and forgiveness, which was one of the main points for this post. Like I said, pointing out the multiple double standards that I've observed over the years would warrant its own post. That's your opinion and which is fine, as most of those who commented on this post are keenly aware of such double standards. For what it's worth, years ago when I leaned more to the left I refused to acknowledge double standards being promoted by my preferred political side, until the day eventually came where I could no longer deny the political I had believed in and trusted played the same crooked games as the other political side does, but that's a whole other story...

@SpikeTalon You wrote, "Double standards? I suppose Maxine Waters urging her followers to get confrontational with the perceived adversary isn't inciting violence, while Trump was nearly crucified for doing similar, I'd say that constitutes a double standard."

This kind of "double standard," as you call it, exists on both sides of the political spectrum. This is just politicians being politicians. It's not confined to democrats. The conservatives have their Lauren Boebert, Matt Gaetz, and Marjorie Taylor Greene. But that's not the kind of "double standard" I thought we were discussing. I would not deny the existence of double standards. But I thought we were talking about current democratic attitudes about "race." The democrats, as you call them, seemed to have leveled similar criticisms in both the Northam and Kennedy instances that you pointed out in your original post. The criticisms seem pretty consistent to me. I saw no "double standard" there.

You wrote, "Trump's policies were very popular with the citizens as well, but you do realize such is merely an opinion, and you sure didn't give any examples of Biden's policies that the majority supposedly support."

Here you go:

That Covid-19 relief law? It remains widely popular. (A Monmouth poll finds 63 percent of Americans supporting it, including 43 percent who do so strongly.)

His infrastructure plan? It pretty much matches his job rating in the Quinnipiac and NPR/PBS/Marist surveys about 63%.

Increased taxes for corporations and Americans making more than $400,000? Popular.

What about making long-term health care part of his infrastructure plan? NPR/PBS/Marist shows 58 percent of Americans believing that this is part of the country’s infrastructure, versus 39 percent who don’t.

[nbcnews.com]

You wrote, "The Democrats didn't have the power to remove Northam from office? That's a rather chilling thought, no politician should ever be allowed to get that much power." .... Had that been Trump instead of Northam, the left would not have given up until Trump lost his job.

Did the democrats have the power to remove Trump from office? They tried twice and failed. Most of them called for Northam to resign. When he wouldn't they probably figured that the people of Virginia elected him and they should be the ones to get rid of him. Most governors and presidents get removed for what they do while in office, not what they do before they get there. That the dems could have removed Trump from office if he was the governor of Virginia is pure speculation.

@TyKC Who said it's confined to only Democrats? Tell me something I didn't already know, but that's beside the point. You asked for examples and I gave you one, and instead of acknowledging that you moved the goalposts back by saying both sides do that, when that wasn't the point. Talking about race was the original topic for this post, but you strayed from that the moment you started asking me for specific examples of double standards.

You do realize that link is nothing more than an opinion piece? There are many that had agreed with Trump's policies and many that didn't, and I certainly wouldn't expect a source like NBC to say something flattering about Trump.

The Democrats did have the power to remove Trump from office... assuming they had sufficient evidence to back up their claims of criminal wrongdoing, which they did not, so Trump kept his job. Huge difference there dude from what Northam was accused of, and Northam admitted wrongdoing, so there was no arguing or denying he did what he was accused of. Fair enough, then such could be considered speculation, but it certainly was plausible.

@SpikeTalon Northam didn't admit to wrongdoing. There is nothing illegal about dressing up in blackface or wearing a hood. It may be bad judgement, but it's not illegal. Trump was accused of shaking down a foreign ally for his own personal political reasons. It was clearly an abuse of power. He should have been convicted. The second impeachment was not justified in my opinion.

@TyKC Never said it was illegal, and he did admit that it was wrong even back then to do something like that. Trump was exonerated due to lack of strong and damning evidence. That is strictly your opinion, which is fine, but the verdict is in regardless if you agree or not.

What I heard is basically the same thing they said of Trudeau about his "brownface scandal:" that he was a young man, and young people make mistakes, but he truly understands now how bad and hurtful it was and he's really, really sorry.

Similarly no one has a word to say about Robert Downey Jr and his blackface in "Tropic Thunder." According to them, Downey was merely mocking how wrong blackface is.

The rational explanation being: if you're on our side politically and still useful to us, we've got your back. Which really means, no one really gives two squirts about blackface but recognize it as a useful weapon to turn the mob against political opponents.

The function of Human Reasoning is NOT to seek out and attain Truth, but rather is designed and evolved as a survival mechanism to skirt truth and attain synchrony with the surrounding tribe.

If you get a chance, check out Robert Downey Jr's interview with Joe Rogan. Pretty interesting discussion about Tropic Thunder.

@coalburned

Just to be clear, I'm not picking on RDJ; I truly could not care less about blackface. I'm simply pointing out the selective outrage that always seems to align with the offender's politics.

@Alysandir Yep, I don't disagree, and I didn't mean to imply you were picking on RDJ. Just thought you (and others) might find the interview interesting.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:223049
Slug does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.