slug.com slug.com

3 2

Benefits of Christianity

Have non-Christians benefited from Christianity?

• 0 votes
  • 4 votes
  • 17 votes
  • 0 votes
Facci 7 Mar 7

Be part of the movement!

Welcome to the community for those who value free speech, evidence and civil discourse.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

In the West, Christianity contributed to the spread of public universities and
hospitals as well as spreading sustainable and wide spread ethics to
those who may have been less prone to following them. (Such as young males who are low in agreeableness.)
It hasn't ended violent crime but it has contributed to lowering it,
and although it didn't end war in Europe but it did emphasize peace as an ideal worth pursuing.

It has been in Christian-majority countries where human rights are most strongly upheld.

We all benefit from the idea of charity of health care, economic support and knowledge as coming from one Divine Father Who cares about humanity's welfare. Even if you don't believe in the core theology which continued and purified the benefits we inherited from Athens and Rome.

Everyone benefits therefore from Christianity.

From a worldly view, yes, everyone does benefit. It helps give good ideals to improve the world. However, if Christianity is no more than an ideal to encourage us or "charity" per say, it lacks its purpose. If Christianity isn't in every since true than all the good it achieves through improvement of human rights is worthless. If we are not children of Christ, then our purpose is no purpose. Then, the only reasonable pursuit would be to take what happiness and materials you want and enjoy them short term. I believe Christianity is good, but the goal of Christianity is salvation. Nothing we do here matters if heaven doesn't exist and we are not saved through grace...If our life witness does not make some uncomfortable or stand against something, than it is worthless. I do not mean that we are not called to love every human being and that we should not treat every human being with grace. But.... Christianity is not a universalist religion. It convicts. It is passionate and forthcoming. It doesn't rest on morals but on grace. There is one ultimate purpose in this world -- to share Christ with as many as possible and to prepare for the world to come.

This is a difficult question to answer as the term, "benefit" seems pretty relative. I believe that Christianity benefits all those who are born again in Christ. I believe that setting an example as a Christian is important as it may make non-believers think or experience love or grace in a way that was otherwise unavailable. I don't mean that Christian's as a whole are nicer or more altruistic than non-believers. Exemplary moral behavior can be present in an individual of any religious standing. I believe that the freedom to preach the gospel of Christ and having the option to be exposed to Christ regularly is a blessing not many have. As far as benefitting Christian's and non-believers circumstantially, I would say no. Believing the truth or having faith in something does not change circumstances on earth from the world's perspective. The word of God is not universalist or all inclusive. It is not soft soap, but as scripture says, "The word of God is sharper than any double edged sword, dividing spirit from flesh."

Has Christianity influenced the Magna Carta, modern republicanism, individual sovereignty and liberty, the Enlightenment, the U.S. Constitution, beer, farming, genetics, American Abolition, Civil Rights, and charity?

I would credit the Judeo Christian Western society, valuing the individual enough to allow for cognitive dissonance

I agree. I like saying "Judeo-Christian western society" better than just "Chistianity". Too many variations of Christianity, some healthy, some not so healthy.

@DanTheMan because it's more than just a religion it's the modern way of thinking right to live and let live the value of the individual above the collective pretty simple and fascinating actually that the only society that allows for atheism is that a judeo Christian culture

@DanTheMan "Judeo-Christian" is somewhat redundant given that Christianity is founded upon Hebraic roots, after all, Jesus is of the tribe of Judah. The growth of Western civilization is, however, a confluence of Greek and Christian streams, for good or evil. A core concept in Hebrew and Christian thought is that God made man in His image and man has been trying to ineffectually efface that image ever since. At the core of Greek thought is the attempt to carve a new image while somewhat unkindly asking God to shed His light elsewhere while they gather their thoughts.

@VUnP not sure if isolating one or the other wouldn't change the message, bc even though they are related, are you your father? And I feel post Magna Carta judeo-christian as a term accurately captures the culture and values of Western society.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:21728
Slug does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.