slug.com slug.com

10 2

What do you think is the purpose of art? And do you guys have a favorite artist?

Be part of the movement!

Welcome to the community for those who value free speech, evidence and civil discourse.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The purpose of art is to speak a message to the viewer. My favorite artist is Thomas Cole.

The purpose is expression and communication. The artist is always communicating something, regardless if its shallow or deep. It is an expression of the moment. I don't think how it makes others feel is exactly the purpose any more than I think how you feel about what I type is the purpose of my creating a response to this question.

My thinking lately is best described as multidimensional. If art has a purpose, than it must be tied to the individual who made it, as well as the person experiencing it. Like putting a peace of yourself out there without expectation, you can't always quite know why you've done it nor can you know what to expect of its impact on the world.

Art to me, is about connecting to the deepest parts of yourself. Sometimes parts you don't even know are there. You don't have to share this with anyone and so the purpose is not always about the viewer.

Personally, I can see art in the little things. I take great pride in making connections others don't see, and I believe it allows me to live a happier life than I've witnessed in many around me.

Art brings you into the now, and helps you reflect on the rest. For me it's a state of mind. The artist shares a state of mind, and the viewer receives it. What meaning is there is about bridging the gap between two perspectives and through time and space has the ability to connect us with a common intelligents that we feel very deeply. Call it your soul, god, love, mind body connection. What ever floats your boat.

I don't currently have a favorite artist, do to health complications I've had a rather rough start. But I try to bring my creativity into everything I do. Art is an energy, and the state of flow is its medium. Without this I would likely be lost on my path, so maybe the point is a beacon of hope for those that are lost.

(I'm not implying you must be in a state of flow for art to be art)

Thanks for the comment, people should think more multidimensionally as you put it

As a showing artist, each themed series is different, at least for me. Right now I'm working on pop portraits which are meant to just make you smile. Not every piece of art has to have some "deeper meaning" eyeroll some work can be for pure pleasure. As for favorite artist...this month?...Pisarro

Haha! Fair enough.

To me, the purpose of art is to make you see, feel, taste, or hear something beyond what you think, feel or know.

Art is subjective to the individual, it can be used as therapy in that the artist will use different emotions to create different art art can be consumed so many different ways for so many different reasons truly defined by the individual consuming or producing the art. Shinsuke Nakamura is my favorite artist

I think art is a way of expressing which can't or maybe hard to express by normal manners of speech. Great stories are a form of art that convey hard to comprehend ideas. Music is also a great example of this think of a song that gets you pumped or Stokes something within you.

True, there are many images and feelings that come to our minds, and are just too difficult to put into laymen words, and like you said they are better expressed through art

Art is the imagination manifest, used to magnify abstract realities. What one considers art depends on their current state of mind, past experiences, past or current sorrows or joys, and age, making it somewhat subjective. Artistic expression covers every range of emotion from disgusting to divine.

It can relate wit, such as in a well written poem that eloquently manipulates words, or a song that profoundly elicits the complexities of love.

In this way art is almost always used to deepen our understanding of who we are personally, who others are personally, and how we all are collectively.....like salt on food it takes something that's always existed and makes it even more itself.

I like what you said in the last sentence, that's a way to put it for sure!

The purpose of art, in my opinion, is to elicit an emotional response in the viewer.

Beautiful work, thanks for sharing

The value of art:

A great professor of mine said "were if not for art, we would have very little; not even the clothes on our backs. We'd be naked people falling to the ground (our classroom was on the second floor of a building)."

What he meant was: all things in modern society of any quality need to be designed. To design, you must draw in some fashion. You cannot do that without some artistic ability. Art is paramount to having the things we have because they needed to be planned out and designed before they could be manufactured or built. And when you attempt to build without a plan or design, you usually get rubbish.

There are too many artists to have a single favorite. I have groupings of artists I refer to when I need particular reference or inspiration in any particular topic.

What a fascinating quote, thanks for the comment.

@OrderOutofChaos You're quite welcome. I learned a huge amount from that professor and I'm happy to share. This is what the professor looked like if you want a face to the quote.

I consider art a form of entertainment, and entertainment I don't partake in much.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:21611
Slug does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.