slug.com slug.com

3 0

What are your thoughts on workplace culture and policies?

What are your thoughts on the social politics of your workplace? Do you feel you can trust your co-workers and management, or do you think it's best to keep personal matters to yourself? Do you feel pressured by management to communicate with co-workers for reasons other than to get work done? In other words, are you expected to befriend co-workers?

Do you feel you and your fellow co-workers are treated fairly by management, or if you are a manager, do company policies allow you to treat employees fairly or not?

Do you feel free and safe to air concerns with the "higher-ups" if you are having a personal problem, or if you need to take time off for reasons other than leisure?

Do you feel free to innovate (if applicable) or does the company have a set way of doing things such that deviating from it could risk you losing your job, even if innovating could foster greater profits or productivity?

Do you feel your company has a fair bereavement leave policy/vacation time/maternity leave/etc.?

How do you feel about "use it or lose it" vacation time (if applicable)?

How does company policy affect your productivity? Do you think that the company policies allow you to be adequately productive, more productive than average, or less productive than average?

Do you get adequate time for lunch and bathroom breaks?

Do you feel like your workplace expects too much or too little of you or just right?

If you need to go to the doctor or if your child has an emergency, etc. is your workplace understanding, or is the attendance and tardiness policy so rigid that it makes it difficult for you to take care of your and your family's needs?

Does your workplace pry unreasonably into your personal life, or are you free to be who you are outside of work as long as it doesn't interfere with your work life?

Is there anything you can think of that your workplace could do to both enhance productivity/profits and treat workers fairly?

When you first started the job, were you allowed to ask about or examine company policies before signing on to determine if the job and workplace environment was the right fit for you?

graesvol 6 Mar 2

Be part of the movement!

Welcome to the community for those who value free speech, evidence and civil discourse.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I'll give a separate answer here, as it regards my wife's office. Unlike my company, her business, which she owns, is very small. Several of them have been with her well over twenty years.

She's pretty flexible when she can be, for example, she's allowed employees to bring children to work when there was an issue, to take an extended trip for family reasons (wedding in Pakistan), but her business can't readily absorb a lot of "special" things, like extended family leave, long absences due to illness or "middle of the day" emergencies.

With just one employee missing, everything bogs down, everyone works even harder to fill in, but it's pretty tough. She already works for 5:00am to midnight every day. I'm all for being nice, but dang....LOL.

She a physician and more than the business suffers when the staff isn't around. Patients are left waiting, filing and labs get behind and it takes a while to recover.

With regard to Social Media, she had no policy UNLESS what is said reflects poorly on her practice or if the employee is giving unsolicited advice. That crosses the line and (thank goodness, we work in a Fire-at-Will State), will result in termination.

She has an employee handbook, which all new employees must review and sign for.

Your job, any job, is an agreement between parties that can and should be controlled by the market. If your employer suddenly changes policy, then there might be a problem, but otherwise, things like "family leave" and "how long is your lunch" and "social media policy" , while intrusive and burdensome, are the domain of the employer/employee and should be understood when you take the job. If the job sucks, find another.

I'm lucky. My employer is a private company, albeit one worth about $12B. It is owned, for the most part, by one man, the rules are set by him, with input from his advisors (and his executive staff).

We have "PTO" en lieu of vacation and sick time. It's fairly standard for my industry. The PTO keeps employees from "calling in sick" when they're not. We get about 6 weeks at my experience level and we can carry it over.We don't offer paid "family leave" but you can get the time off. For sudden illness (I had child that needed a bone marrow transplant) they can be pretty flexible.

We don't have fix breaks or time off during the day. I bicycle 23 miles each day at lunch for exercise (I also bike to work and back) . I take a long lunch, about 90 minutes. No issues, but I'm expected to be available if they call (I wear a headset while riding). I come in at 8:30, work until 6:30 or 7 each evening, so they're getting full day out of me.

I come in frequently on weekends to work, but don't expect to be paid. I'm compensated well, overall.

We have chaplains at work that visit each employee every couple of weeks. They are non denominational , but I was told public companies would never allow it. I enjoy their visits.

Things I don't like? We fire people at the drop of a hat. I am the only one left out of the six I was hired with five years ago. Yikes.. Some of the firings were a surprise to all. I work with a bit of anxiety about the job. On the positive side, we have a LOT of 20 and 30 year employees here.

The chaplains offer advice, directions for counseling and a non-judgmental ear (they may report generally, how the employees are doing and feeling, but they respect privacy.) They function as the equivalent of "EAP" resources within the company and all interactions with them are confidential.

While they are Christians themselves, they can offer faith-based counseling or direct those employees to the appropriate resource for just about any "mainstream" faith.

They can and do plan,officiate or attend weddings and funerals and they offer devotionals at all of our company events. .Once month or so, they drop off a devotional guy to each employer that wants one.

Company policy is that interaction with them is voluntary and they can't attempt to convert or interact with anyone that isn't interested. They are pretty passive.
They are contractors. For more about their organization and purpose: www.mchapusa.com

Some more details please?

@graesvol Usually best to keep personal matters to myself. Usually not expected to befriend co-workers. My current job is fine, no issues with management, however past jobs I could not say the same. Can't say I feel totally secure in discussing what could be considered unfair circumstances. To reply to a few of your questions there.

One of the advantages (or disadvantages) of being privately held is that we sometimes make decisions that aren't exactly great on "the bottom line". The Chaplains are a great asset, but I"m not sure how to do a cost-benefit analysis of their value.

The same holds for a famously large bonus we gave EVERY employee of the company a while back. It was not based on salary or position but was given equally to every full time employee because of a "promise" made by the owner that if we beat certain benchmarks, we'd all be rewarded. Our receptionist of 10 years went out and bought her a house with it. If we had been a publicly traded company, the board would've shut that down and those checks would've never gone out. When the promise was made five years before, we had a few hundred employees, When the owner had to stroke the checks, we had over 1200.

Another part of the company that helps is that we run an "Open Book" company, based on the principles and methods mentioned in the book, "The Great Game of Business". ALL of the employees, including our field hands, meet once a month where we go over the books. We know how each division, each part of the company is doing. We know when there are problems and the floor is open to solutions. I'm a big fan of this way of doing things.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:21225
Slug does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.