slug.com slug.com

0 0

Creative52, Week 4 is all about negative space. The negative space in the photo should complement the image or be the dominant element in the frame. This could be the contrasting color of the background bringing out the shape and color of the subject, a wide open sky to show the vastness of the horizon, a silhouette framing a person.

When I was with Cirque Dreams, we played in many theaters that typically housed Broadway-style shows: a large stage for a full play with many actors and a huge set of curtains to block out the entire stage view. Cirque Dreams was a Euro-style cirque show with a modest-sized cast of circus performers that did their acts in front of a live rock band (which was what I was part of).

What was cool was that we were all on stage and the audience was all out there and ready to go but we were divided by a curtain. The audience didn't know what was happening on our side of the curtain, and we didn't know what their general vibe was on their side of the curtain. They wanted a kickass show and we were ready to put on a kickass show. Many performers put down Yoga mats to stretch. Many of us would just walk around and chat. I, on the other hand, and the rest of the musicians would warm up a bit. I would stretch my hands for a long time and do a series of fretboard warm-ups.

This image here is me kind of bringing the backstage routine into the front of the curtain. It's ten minutes before the show and we're all waiting around just like the audience. We're just divided by a long, long couple of big pieces of fabric. But when those curtains separate you better believe that we're all ready to go. I feel that the expanse and length of the curtain that hangs between the stage and audience wraps up the size and scope of the theater show as well.

My hands are extremely important to me. My hands translate what's in my head into the physical world. In this image they're clasped together, waiting, in-between curtains. The fingers are waiting to separate just like the curtains are waiting to separate. The hands have the potential to deliver a huge show just like the curtains have the potential to reveal a huge show. Finally, I wanted to make a very exaggerated frame, a very odd aspect ratio to accentuate the length of the curtains. The original, non-Instagram final image is 13996x5543 pixels.

#negativespace #negativespacephotography #creative52 #negativespaceart #negativespacechallenge

WhoIsJayLamm 6 Apr 12

Be part of the movement!

Welcome to the community for those who value free speech, evidence and civil discourse.

Create your free account
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:210312