slug.com slug.com

8 4

Objective thinking?

I often find myself questioning my objectivity on my political and philosophical opinions. Any ideas or tips on how to make sure I'm being as objective as possible, especially when forming new opinions?

Williambyler 4 Feb 26

Be part of the movement!

Welcome to the community for those who value free speech, evidence and civil discourse.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I would like a discussion with an objective thinker concerning a theory I posted. Your thoughts or questions please.

Try to be open in your sources of information, for example if you read about a big story that is happening, try not to just stick to right or left leaning sources, no matter how you may feel about the particular media source, eg. Dailywire post something on Trumps latest state of the union speech, if The Huffington Post are also discussing it, have a look at their article as well. this will help give you a proper balance and allow you to formulate an opinion that isnt too bias.

Your opinions have to be subjective and you have to be objective when hearing information that confronts or contradicts what you know or believe already

Also, it's OK to admit we're subjective creatures; acknowledgment of that alone brings you closer to objectivity.

We are subjective creatures but also we must make sure that we are not as subjective as post-modernism advocates for, there needs to be a fine line

@Farch We should not be so open-minded as to let our brains fall out! (Carl Sagan, I think)

Steel man the argument from the other side; don't argue against caricature.

Please see: Dr. Bryan Caplan's "Ideological Turing Test." Can be found on the Econlog website. Reading J.S. Mill may help as well, but is a bit more dense.

Thanks

Constantly question things.

I always try to research opposing views and rebuttals and try to prove myself wrong. Like my own personal argument going on with myself. The only way to reach truth is to seek as much information, all if possible, on any given subject then evaluate what the facts say from a neutral stand point making sure to leave any personal experience or bias out of the process. It can be hard to do but it is possible.

Bang on.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:20873
Slug does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.