slug.com slug.com

12 1

What are the things that makes a person intelligent and how can you recognize such a person? I am going to be starting a chain of questions looking for your guys opinions regarding valuable personality traits and characteristics, hopefully the answers could be insightful and beneficial to everyone.

Be part of the movement!

Welcome to the community for those who value free speech, evidence and civil discourse.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Humor. Some of the funniest people in the world are comedians. They can see humor in even the darkest situations. On the same note comedians can also be suffering from mental illness which can mean they perceive things in a different light to the general population which makes things funny when explained to an audience. Look at Robin Williams actor and comedian was self medicating with alcohol until he went sober. Until he hit the bottle again and took his own life. I don't know where I'm going with this now probably digging my own grave.

Humor. Some of the funniest people in the world are comedians. They can see humor in even the darkest situations. On the same note comedians can also be suffering from mental illness which can mean they perceive things in a different light to the general population which makes things funny when explained to an audience. Look at Robin Williams actor and comedian was self medicating with alcohol until he went sober. Until he hit the bottle again and took his own life. I don't know where I'm going with this now probably digging my own grave.

This question reminds me of Bastiat’s Essay, That Which is Seen, That Which is Not Seen. Published in 1850. [bastiat.org]
Granted, it’s based on economics but still transferable to other venues.

“Between a good and a bad economist this constitutes the whole difference — the one takes account of the visible effect; the other takes account both of the effects which are seen, and also of those which it is necessary to foresee. Now this difference is enormous, for it almost always happens that when the immediate consequence is favourable, the ultimate consequences are fatal, and the converse. “

How are we measuring intelligence? High scores on standardized tests? I might prefer someone with a mediocre score with lots of wisdom.

People who are really funny are usually very smart. People who can look at an idea and know it will never work, (Common Core, No Child Left Behind, and every wealth distribution plan put forth), generally understand human nature, as well as the law of unnintended consequences.

If you want a shortcut to assess people's intelligence just look at their intellectual influences. IDW fans tend to be on top of the curve and Anita fans the opposite (i'll try to find the study later)

If you're looking for an argument from authority, that ones easy. Find specific experts to the topic. It gets tricky outside of that tho, based off of few opinions discussed, intelligence can be found outside of knowledge of facts. Look at how does one react when faced with an opinion not their own, or when presented verifiable facts that challenges a core belief someone has. Open mindedness, thoughtful, intellectually honesty. The ability to distinguish opinion from facts. Hope it helped

@Daryl Well SAID! I agree, this one more or less trumps all the others because, without this, nothing new could be learned past a certain point of personal comfort.

Cool head, well spoken, open mind

The ability to think abead and solve problems. Generally listening before answering. I disagree with Spike on the expanded vocabulary...simply because that shows study, not intelligence. A person that can break a problem or theory down into it's most simple terms generally has the greatest understanding of it.

If we're being technical, intelligence is kind of like processing power. It just means your brain is faster and more powerful than other people's. However, intelligence alone can sometimes be harmful; it is best to combine intelligence with wisdom and experience.

The ability to honestly observe/interpret objectively. Empathetic, self disciplined, Insightful and artistic/creative. maintaining a proper balance of self awareness and the world around around you. Properly Understanding your own values, the ability to articulate your observations.

Intelligence is the difference between belief and living with head knowledge vs manifesting and applying your knowledge.

Keeping a cool head when engaged in debates
An expanded vocabulary
Correct spelling of words, good grammar
Willing to listen to all sides
Examines any and all evidence
Not quick to jump to conclusions
Last but not least, willing to ask many questions

Those are a few I could think of. Regarding your second question, suffice to say you'll often know within minutes of conversing with someone.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:20810
Slug does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.