slug.com slug.com

6 1

Because some people still need it explained

Azathoth 5 Mar 28

Be part of the movement!

Welcome to the community for those who value free speech, evidence and civil discourse.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

So evolution is a fact and evolution is an explanation for it?

I'm not sure if that's circular logic or a self-referencing definition, but it definitely sounds wrong to me.

No the post is to explain the word theory in a scientific context.

It is written in English so thought you would understand.

Put it this way. Gravity is a scientific theory. Do you have problems with that?

@Azathoth Gravity isn't a theory, it's a force. Theories can be wrong, can gravity be wrong?

@MassDebater yes gravity is a force but it also fits into the definition of scientific theory. And we have plenty of evidence for both gravity and evolution.

@Azathoth Wait, so you honestly don't see any difference between a natural force, and people's theory of what causes it?

Seriously?

There are strong arguments for micro evolution, but I don’t have enough faith to believe that humans evolved from amoebas (who evolved from???). Even if you had hundreds of trillions of years the statistical probability is still so minuscule that I can’t accept it as a probability.

Why are you actually on a page named 'science and tech'?

@AdrianRainbow Apparently to offend you with my opinions.

@Mechanic Opinions are not offensive, per se, however, they are worthless.

Low resolution answer:
Scientific Laws have a mathematical formula, are proven and high consistent (F = G × [(m1m2)/r2]) etc...

Scientific Theories are observable and repeatable by different people (gravity, evolution)

A Hypothesis may or may not be true and requires rigorous testing and not just a flimsy one-off to prove what you want.

Psychological theories are sometimes observable and/or falsifiable and sometimes political and voted on and enforced through government and quasi-government bodies. (Many conditions have no quantifiable tests, they are simply check boxes and or correlation of self-reflection that may or may not be accurate/biased)

Sociological Theories are narratives and best guesses see also, religion. (Every country thinks their society is the best and that everything before them was different shades of primitive)

I'm genuinely curious, what tests did critical race theory undergo and get proved correct?

Because we sure seem to be pushing the Hell out of that one lately as if it were the gospel truth.

Sorry to get in the way of your Christian bash.

I think James Lindsay, Helen Pluckrose, and Peter Boghossian answered that one with their hoax papers 🙂 A phony peer review with no facts building a house of cards made of pure BS and then citing those base papers to say “wE aRe akademik” drool

God did do it. Prove evolution. Make life from nothing. Make universe from nothing. Real science is testable. Observable. Theory is not. Evolution is therefore a theory.

Natural Selection is an observed scientific fact.
Evolution is a theory, based on that observation, that maybe that's where new species come from.
It remains unproved, and even still, it does nothing to even suggest where life itself came from.
"God did it" is an attribution for the origin of the process, not a competing theory. There's no need for Science worshipers to feel threatened. The assertion is, in fact, irrefutable; since "God" is what we call the originator of all natural Laws and processes. So it's True, by definition.

Microevolution is observed. Macroevolution is not.

@Poncho69 I would not even consider Darwinian Evolution as a theory. It has no evidence what so ever. Microbiology has shown evolution to be beyond probability.

@Marcoullier exactly
God did do it. Prove evolution. Make life from nothing. Make universe from nothing. Real science is testable. Observable. Theory is not. Evolution is therefore a theory.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:204004
Slug does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.