slug.com slug.com

5 2

Whenever I hear "thoughts and prayers"

Azathoth 5 Mar 5

Be part of the movement!

Welcome to the community for those who value free speech, evidence and civil discourse.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

hmmm... same argument against colored-ribbons, "awareness" campaigns, and especially... voting for the gubmint to "do something" (starting with seizing your neighbor's money, and ending with... well, that was it... seizing your neighbor's money was the whole point.)

Prayer is an act of faith; based on a belief that it can invoke, align, and direct metaphysical forces against a particular problem... forces that may or may not be willing and/or able to produce the desired outcome for those doing the praying.
Whether it "works", cannot therefore be determined by the outcome itself. Sometimes the answer is no.

If you don't have a thorough understanding of the natural laws of the metaphysical world... which you don't... then it's just arrogant to demean the practice out of ignorance and a pretentiously-smug disbelief.

I don't wear coloured ribbons and it is not arrogant to criticise something that has been proven not to work. I was raised as Catholic and am fully aware of all the arguments for God and prayer. I've done my research. I am not smug in !y disbelief I merely exercise my right to proclaim my disbelief and explain why.

@Azathoth there's nothing wrong with that. So... go ahead... explain why.

@rway I don't believe because there is no evidence. In the case of the Christian God none of what is written in the bible holds up to scrutiny. Jesus himself ( if he ever actually existed) didn't actually fulfill many of the prophecies about him. Mankind's own efforts have proven so much of Christian teaching wrong. I know we don't have all the answers but we can still try. Religions in general discourage learning with the old put your trust in God/Allah/etc. I could go on and on about this. Like I said I did my research and I still do. I'm always testing myself. These are just a few reasons why I don't believe.

@Azathoth Always testing yourself is a good practice, in my opinion.
But you'll never have observational evidence for anything that cannot be observed in the first place. Science will never fill that gap, because it can't. It's the wrong tool for that job.
We have other tools for that; mainly intuition, reason, and trans-generational experience. That's what "honor your mother and father" is all about... not breaking the chain of deductive progress, just because you don't understand it so far.
I do not believe that we are even aware of everything that exists and how it all works. My own guesstimate is that we are aware of significantly-less than 1% of what's happening in the universe, and that we actually understand far less than that.
What I do believe is that a million years or more of cultural evolution have given us insights into how some of those un-observable natural laws operate.
To dismiss something because you don't understand it, is no more rational than to believe it for the same reason.

Someone's doing it wrong.

Do better!

Ok pray to God to end Cancer. If you know how to do it right we shouldn't have to worry anymore.

It is the "big guns" in spiritual warfare.

Amen!

I disagree. Prayer is the best thing one can do for another. I would also point out, however, that people of faith who sincerely pray for others rarely only pray, for the same concern that leads them to pray leads them to do whatever else they may be able to do as well in order to help them. This has been my experience living among sincere Christians for the whole of my adult life thus far. Whoever wrote that meme doesn't know what he or she is talking about. Thus I agree with what @TimTuolomne said below.

This is only true for pretend believers.

Amen!

By the way it's written, it's coming from a denier of God's existence, somebody who believes all of the universe came from nothing, that all design do not have a Designer. And not seeing how illogical that actually is.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:194720
Slug does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.