slug.com slug.com

2 6

Recently I read an article in The New Criterion about John Steinbeck, a novelist held in high esteem by my parents generation, a regard carried over into the 1960s. According to the article, he is largely forgotten today, out of fashion. I've read some, but not all, of his work. Anyhow, I was inspired to read The Red Pony, and was not disappointed. A bittersweet feeling from reading it, of when we, the USA, were an actual nation. The Red Pony is one of those books, like Willa Cather's My Antonia or William Saroyan's The Human Comedy, that strike a different, yet similar, chord. Small towns, rural life. There was a time when novelists (and poets and painters and composers and classical musicians) mattered. I remember when Harper Lee and Robert Frost and Andrew Wyeth and Aaron Copland and Van Cliburn were celebrated, were part of the national fabric. But back then we were, arguably, a nation.

Stratslinger 7 Mar 2

Be part of the movement!

Welcome to the community for those who value free speech, evidence and civil discourse.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I really enjoyed Travels with Charley by Steinbeck. Another author who writes about small towns is Jon Hassler. His Staggerford, Minnesota series (1977) is well written, engaging.

Of Mine and Men is the only book by Steinbeck I've ever read. Amazing portrayal of well meaning guys in terrible situations. The movie version with Burgess Meredith is amazing, due to Lon Chaney's innocent dumb guy character and you really see the pain in Meredith's character at the very end when he has to do what he knows he has to do to help his friend. Evocative stuff. Great writer.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:193558
Slug does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.