slug.com slug.com

3 1

LINK Still Confused About Masks? Here’s the Science Behind How Face Masks Prevent Coronavirus | UC San Francisco

I don't see any legitimate argument against wearing masks. It's just common sense. It lowers the viral load. It adds friction between one person and another. It's not a political things - just common sense that you can empirically test for yourself. Go into a cold car with your mask on. Take your glasses and put them in front of the mask. Now blow hard. It does not fog up. Now put your glasses on and breath. They fog up immediately. The mask disperses the droplets away from other people and dilutes them in the air.

Also try the candle test.

jsegor 6 Feb 3

Be part of the movement!

Welcome to the community for those who value free speech, evidence and civil discourse.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Hard for me to see how almost everyone will not be infected sooner or later regardless.

The bottom line is the masks don't work since 90% of people getting infected where wearing a mask, they are basically useless.

"Masks can have a reasonable use-case, therefore it's not a political thing" is not a valid conclusion.

It is if it saves lives in reality. I base my actions on the probability of something being correct, not perfect information. Based on common sense and observable evidence, the likelihood of it being effective is high. Cost-benefit analysis weighs in its favor.

For a year I have not gotten sick with anything, no cold, no flu, no covid. Highly unlikely. Mask and distance probably did the trick.

@jsegor if you're not already sick, the likelihood of it being effective is zero.
Either way, that does not imply that there is no political motivation behind it.
Those are two different questions.

@rway Yes, Democrats have turned masks into a political weapon, but they do that with everything. It does not follow that just because Democrats exploit various aspects of COVID-19 that masks don't have some level of protection. People spit when they talk. That is obvious. Spit contributes to spread. Wearing a mask cuts that down. It does not mean you can't catch the bug, just that the overall probability of getting it is reduced. Similar to wearing seat belts. Some people wearing seat belts will die anyway, but wearing them statistically reduces the deaths or injuries overall.

It is not worth it to me to fight wearing a mask just on political grounds. Many people I know who scoffed at wearing masks have gotten covid. It's their choice. Not mine.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:181488
Slug does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.