slug.com slug.com

4 4

A little parable from Kurt Vonnegut:

Kurt Vonnegut tells his wife he's going out to buy an envelope...
“Oh, she says, well, you're not a poor man. You know, why don't you go online and buy a hundred envelopes and put them in the closet? And so I pretend not to hear her. And go out to get an envelope because I'm going to have a hell of a good time in the process of buying one envelope.
I meet a lot of people. And see some great looking babies. And a fire engine goes by. And I give them the thumbs up. And I'll ask a woman what kind of dog that is. And, and I don't know. The moral of the story is—we're here on Earth to fart around.
And, of course, the computers will do us out of that. And what the computer people don't realize, or they don't care, is we're dancing animals. You know, we love to move around. And it's like we're not supposed to dance at all anymore."
Let's all get up and move around a bit right now... or at least dance

Vonneguts little parable made me think about my boyhood. My mother would scold me for not coming directly home after school - I farted around on my walk home from school if the weather allowed it. I would investigate stuff I found in a ditch or along the street - I would stop to pet a dog over a fence - I would meander along a short path through some shallow woods and sometimes I would stop to talk to people I did not know and who did not know me. In hindsight I'm sure my boyish questions were sometimes annoying to grown ups I might have attempted to engage on my after school adventures. Vonnegut is right - the goal is NOT to find the singular envelope the goal is to experience the people and things you otherwise would never have seen but for the quest itself. Like life itself - its the process that gives meaning to living...happiness is not a destination - it is a somewhat random journey - it is the walk of life that gives meaning to our lives.

iThink 9 Oct 21

Be part of the movement!

Welcome to the community for those who value free speech, evidence and civil discourse.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Well said! Nothing like the good ole days.

I would get beaten for riding on the garbage sled in the winter! It was fun and you met a lot of people.

Is it the growing old, or is it ever accelerating pace of life that robs us of our dalliances?

I'm reminded of a saying I heard many years ago and cannot remember from where now, but it goes... without investment from others, life serves no purpose. The random journey we call life can be deeply interesting and peculiar at times, and the journey goes on.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:142339
Slug does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.