slug.com slug.com

2 0

There are lots of early voters in East Tennessee. I'm not sure it's any higher than prior years but the lines seem longer...but then, we were all standing well apart.

Time will tell.....

govols 8 Oct 15

Be part of the movement!

Welcome to the community for those who value free speech, evidence and civil discourse.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Hello. It's good that people are encouraged to vote instead of being apathetic, no?

Yes. Absolutely. I do sort of think, though, that much of the voting is/will be in self-defense rather than encouragement.

@govols
I still think that it's good if people are realising that their voting right is the only yet strongest weapon to change the course of politics, societal norms, etc., for better.

@Naomi, the voting right isn''t the only weapon. The building of community is both another AND the stronger. One isn't near so enthralled with politics if one is having supper with neighbors from time to time.

My prediction is it will be painfully close in the presidential and other key elections. There are lots of Biden signs in my neighborhood and one Trump sign. Trump is a polarizing figure which is the only way that the Republicans can win but also makes the undecideds undecided. Most probably don't want Trump or Biden. I talk to a lot of people that hate Trump but will probably secretly vote for him. Strange times we live in but I suspect that it is not that much different than the second Lincoln election. We are 5 years into a cold civil war and I don't think Trump has had his Gettysburg. He needs to make his Gettysburg speech right now anyway.

I sort of feel like the closest thing Trump could make to a Gettysburg speech would be something like:

Four years ago I made a promise to all of America that if you trusted me with your vote I would work to make America great again. I think what I've failed to do is express what that means to me. Way back in the age before all of the bullshit of the last four years, one of the most offensive reactions to the idea of making America great again was the response among some of us that America has never been great. The America that united a ragtag bunch of colonial provinces together against an empire, mustered the fortitude to overcome the hardships of long odds under a fledgling version of American leadership still in its infancy, and against odds that rivaled those faced by Leonidas, managed to assert her independent status among the fellowship of Nations. But, they said, America was never great.

The young Nation we were then still building managed to formulate a Constitution, a system of limited general governance over what was then, still, a variety of Peoples--establishing a structure of local self-rule within the independent States, with a vast array of restraints upon the powers that so diverse a collection of Peoples were entrusting to the Great Experiment--a general republic of co-sovereign States, if we could keep it. This republic, with its widely believed dysfunctional structure, function to conquer much of a continent and stand up as an equal among old world empires that dated in some cases to antiquity. But, still, America was never great.

America ripped itself apart over the question of whether the age old notion of sovereignty can be simultaneously distributed individually among a collection of Peoples, united again to the whole of a People, divided up and delegated to various layers of government...and do so while maintaining and justifying to an Enlightened new age the institution of slavery that we inherited from history. War has been a continuous horror of the American experiment, but out of these wars we've abolished slavery in much of the world, built supply lines across a continent and a globe, established and defended them to create trade routes that have helped lift billions of people around the world from an abject poverty that's been the daily lived experience of most of humanity before US. But America was never great.

In the 20th century a policy was devised among a cosmopolitan class of bureaucrats and industrialists to spread the prosperity of "first world" nations out into the global South, into the East, distribute the prosperity enjoyed from the manufacture of prosperity more broadly to other peoples and cultures. America did its part to raise the tide that lifted the boats of peoples around the world, but there was a cost. At home we found ourselves unable to provide for our own emergency personal protection equipment in the event of a pandemic, much less all of the parts required to build a new generation of fighter jets, or nuclear reactors, or even super-high-voltage power transformers to maintain and repair a critical power grid that, if failed, would cost the lives of millions. Over the last few generations we've managed to reduce the effective ability of America to play a strong role in the world, and to even maintain her own prosperity, to a mere simmer. A nation that once lifted all boats by her greatness has been of late reduced to borrowing from the prosperity of her own greatgrandchildren.

America has never been great?

My ass.

It's time for THIS generation to rebuild the promise that we received from our forebears. The obstructions of the last four years must cease. It is time to call out from among us those who would hinder us, shame them, reduce their influence by asserting our on. It's time for all patriotic Americans, AND her supporters around the globe, to stand together and...make America great again. Like it or not, the great experiment of the last few centuries requires American participation, and she falters when her greatness is diminished through the rhetoric of children who refuse to grow the fuck up.

I ask again for your trust, and through your support we can help lead America back toward the greatness in her that a needful world requires.

Anyway, something like that.

@govols

Nice I will do mine latter.

@wolfhnd

I look forward to it...

@govols

Actually after thinking about it I will just go with Scott Adams and say he needs to address healthcare.

Trumpism eludes me.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:140717
Slug does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.