slug.com slug.com

4 11

Do you think this diagram explains well? According to this, no wonder it is so hard to have a proper debate because we can hardly pass the "contradiction" level and get stuck in a stupid argument.

Naomi 8 July 21

Be part of the movement!

Welcome to the community for those who value free speech, evidence and civil discourse.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It is directly correlated with effort and intelligence...it takes a lot of effort and cognitive skills to move up the pyramid.

Yup, that pretty much sums it up today trying to talk to the leftists.

Honestly, I'm really not well equipped for a formal debate...and I suspect that's true of the vast majority of us. High level debate requires all involved to be actually trained. Most of us can be easily triggered into the sort of emotional condition that disrupts our reasonable levels of thinking. We miss the opportunities that our interlocutors present us to negate their rhetoric because we fall victim to the very goal of rhetoric: emotionalizing the conversation for the purpose of directing it toward a preferred conclusion rather than an honest examination of the ideas under question.

Effective debate requires training in logic, argumentation, recognition of fallacy; formal debate requires practice and discipline.

Conversation requires little more than good faith and mutual trust. Also very difficult, but not at all impossible among us lower life-forms. Most of us are familiar with the feeling of humiliation; a little humility ought to come easily.

Plus, I don't know any social media that are well equipped for proper debates.

In terms of having meaningful dialog, I think it's fairly accurate.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:114738
Slug does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.