slug.com slug.com

5 11

Bari Weiss resigns from the New York Times, alleging that 'self-censorship has become the norm'-
[reason.com]

Bari Weiss, one of the most polarizing journalists in the country, has resigned from the opinion section of The New York Times, citing a "hostile work environment" and an institutional yielding to an increasingly extreme ideological "orthodoxy."

"The truth is that intellectual curiosity—let alone risk-taking—is now a liability at The Times," Weiss wrote in a scorching resignation letter self-published Tuesday morning. "Why edit something challenging to our readers, or write something bold only to go through the numbing process of making it ideologically kosher, when we can assure ourselves of job security (and clicks) by publishing our 4000th op-ed arguing that Donald Trump is a unique danger to the country and the world? And so self-censorship has become the norm."

SpikeTalon 10 July 14

Be part of the movement!

Welcome to the community for those who value free speech, evidence and civil discourse.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

will be interesting to see where she lands

Bye bye Bari.

He must now be destroyed.

Worth the read in her own words -
"Part of me wishes I could say that my experience was unique. But the truth is that intellectual curiosity—let alone risk-taking—is now a liability at The Times."

"Or perhaps it is because they know that, nowadays, standing up for principle at the paper does not win plaudits. It puts a target on your back. Too wise to post on Slack, they write to me privately about the “new McCarthyism” that has taken root at the paper of record."

[bariweiss.com]

Freedom of speech takes yet another hit. How long before we only have one news outlet for the entire country?

You might have an idea in November.

@coalburned We can't let that happen.

@NuuzJunky You got that right. I'm not telling anyone who I think they should vote for, but my conversations around politics focus on the critical importance of free speech, open and meaningful dialog, and an end to the cancer of political correctness. Closely related to this is my outright rejection of false claims of racism, white privilege, and the utter hypocrisy I see on the far Left.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:112866
Slug does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.