slug.com slug.com

4 6

Don't rush to judgment on the Atlanta shooting-
[thefederalist.com]

The death of Rayshard Brooks at the hands of Atlanta police officer Garrett Rolfe is a tragedy. Brooks was discovered by police asleep behind the wheel at a Wendy’s drive through. After apparently failing a field sobriety test, officers attempted to cuff Brooks, who resisted, stole an officer’s Taser and attempted to flee while pointing and seeming to fire the Taser at Rolfe. It is a sad story of a situation that got badly out of hand, but the rush to judgment against Rolfe by many in the media is misguided.

SpikeTalon 10 June 15

Be part of the movement!

Welcome to the community for those who value free speech, evidence and civil discourse.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I would call this a bad shooting. He is fleeing, he is not driving, the tazer is a less than lethal weapon, there are 2 officers, had he actually dropped the one officer with the tazer and gone for his weapon I say you are good. In my mind the smart move is set a perimeter and bring more help, or just get a warrant and get him later. I see no argument that his escape was such a risk to the community that lethal force was justified. I don't think the cops are racist, I think they are trying to do their job, but this was just a bad call. I am even more surprised at the decision given the current state of things in this country.

The narrative I heard earlier out of Atlanta is that the officer wasn't threatened with a deadly weapon, so there was no need to employ deadly force. Now, I've never been tased, but if someone has a taser aimed at me, I'm sure as hell not going to just throw up my arms and say, "Aw, why not, I probably have it coming."

If anyone has the time, both body cams are available, Wendy’s our door cam and a drive through cam are online.
Breakdown as I see it:

1. officer rolls up on scene responding to a 911 call, finds and tries to rouse unconscious man in drivers seat of the drive through line (where other ppl had to drive around the car to make an order)
  2. officer has to wake rayshard up twice to get him out of the line. Calls another officer who specializes in sobriety investigation.
  3. rayshard is visibly intoxicated, slurs, smells of alcoholic beverages, can’t answer timeline questions coherently.
    a) can’t convey how he got there
    b) mixes up the type of drinks and amount of drinks he had that night
    c) talked about eating somewhere else then coming to eat there
    d) says he showed up there to sleep “it” off because he didn’t feel right
    e) after being asked if he feels impaired he says very impaired
  4. rayshard agrees to conduct a sobriety test, fails several times. Agrees to blow in the breathalyzer earning a .108
  5. rayshard is put under arrest, struggles with the police (whom obviously to me are handling him with kid gloves because they know people in the drive through have to be recording). Rayshard strikes the officer and takes a taser.
  6. one officer deploys a taser that does not affect rayshard. Rayshard runs, turns around, and fires the taser at them. He is shot by the second officer twice.
  7. Rayshard does at hospital and the Wendy’s burns.

Take the dude’s car keys away and make him get a cup of coffee in Wendy’s. I see no reason to shoot the guy in the back.

Firing a taser at them is the reason

Here's the bodycam footage:

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:104493
Slug does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.